Free to Air and DVR or PVR's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaykal

Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Does anyone know if there is a DVR or PVR out there that will work with the Pansat 2500A?

Jay

I've got my Satwork plugged into my standalone Tivo. I get the pause/rewind/fast forward stuff, and it'll record anything I ask it to, but there's no guide information of course.

glad to know carload!!

do you have to pay the monthly fee for the Tivo service? (this might be a good idea if it doesnt cost anything extra) :)

With the old ReplayTVs, there is no monthly service what-so-ever. Check eBay for those. Thats what I do...i have my FTA reciever hooked up to Replay and there is no monthly fee.

I have two of the 4500 series ReplayTV units one of which does manual recordings, and live pause, etc with a Samsung DSR-3800ci DVB/FTA receiver; just no EPG as stated. I see no reason why any stand alone DVR wouldn't work with any other DVB/FTA unit.

I checked Ebay and they all say monthly fee or get a lifetime subscription

Can I buy one and use it without a monthly fee? (I'v enever had a DVR with a fee, so this is new to me) :)

It's my understanding that my use of the Tivo (pause/rewind/FF/manual record) is available without a subscription. Before my old, lapsed-subscription Tivo shot craps, it would let me do this, although it would nag me whenever I turned it on. My understanding is that the subscription is really for the guide data, which enables name-based recording, Season Passes, and other wonderful conveniences.

The reason I can't tell you for sure is that long ago, I bought the lifetime subscription for my current Tivo. I've often said that you can think of Tivo as an expensive DVR (cheap purchase price + lifetime subscription) with no monthly fee. Or not. :D

Search for Panasonic Replay. Those models are the older ones that dont require a subscription.

FTA and PVR

I have a RCA DRC 7005 that is a standalone and it has all features of TIVO and I have used it with Fortec Ultra and Dish Network with no problems. There is no satellite guide but it does have a guide for regular antenna or cable TV.

I just bought a ILO DVD recorder at Walmart for $159 and it works better than my PVR. It uses +R and +RW dvd blanks. It will rerecord on a RW disc 1000 times. Even at EP setting (4 hours) I can put 2 two hour movies on it and the quality is still very good, very near dvd quality. This might be an alternative to PVR. And the price is right. The DVD recorder is actually a Lite-On 5005, I believe.

MrM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cricket

newbie C-Band large dish reception problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts