Fortec Dish Size???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrtrance

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
I'm planning on a getting a fta system. I was wondering what size dish should I get? I will initially be trying to get just the fta channels from IA5 by getting a fortec or pansat receiver but eventually I might get a globecast receiver to subscirbe to globecast channels by subscription? Would I better off to get the 36" fortec right from the beginning or get the 31" size? I know receivers from pansat, fortec, coolsat should work ok to get fta channels from IA5 using a 31" but I've heard that the receiver from globecast is weak and might need the bigger dish. Is this correct? Does anyone know why the receiver for globecast is weak compared to the receivers from fortec?

go ahead and get the 36" dish it is money well spent. i have a 31" and wish i would have got the 36". I did get a primestar dish and hook it up for g10 and it is like 1m size. it pulls all the transponders out and gets good signal. so go big as you can.

From what I know the 36" although a little more unwieldy will bring in all the
transponders full bore and you may wish you had bought it later if you settle
now for the 31", which may give you a lot of rain fade on the weaker tp's.

Peter

if you are getting a dish for the first time, bigger is better

I have a 30" on my roof and I'm thinking this spring putting up the 36" I have for G10. It will take some rigging for me.

I know Sadoun has a 36" upgrade form a 30" for like $15...well worth it in my mind

Get the 36" dish. The Globecast receiver will have a hard time with a smaller dish. 39" would even be better. And if you decide in the future to jump on the microBUD wagon, then a 48" offset dish will be the BEST.

In terms of size and weight, how hard is it to put up the 36" dish? Right now I have the directv 3 lnb oval dish and will be putting that dish down in order to put the fortec dish. Will I be able to leave the pole (arm) in place and just remove that dish and then put the fortec dish on the arm. Will it handle the extra weight?

Fortec’s use a longer mast than normal Dish 500/DirecTv Phase III masts

The only dish I could get to fit on my Dish500 mast was a HotDish 30” (now my elevation in MN for True south is 38 so it’s low to begin with). The reason was the bracket was down farther on the pole.

Also it depends on where you mount the dish and how much room you have to spare.

If it works, the mast will support the weight. They don’t weigh that much (heck, I carry it with one hand up and down the ladder) :D

You may be able to leave the base and change the arm to the longer one. Also with bigger dishes, extra support bracing (two small support arms) is also recommended, as they are heavier and catch more wind. Add a motor and there is more extra weight.

Larry
That doesnt work. The holes for the mast dont line up with the base so unless you rig it (drill ne holes in mast) you have to use the base that comes with Fortec
(been there tried that) :)

Iceberg said:
Larry
That doesnt work. The holes for the mast dont line up with the base so unless you rig it (drill ne holes in mast) you have to use the base that comes with Fortec
(been there tried that) :)

I was hoping to keep the base plate there from the directv and just install the pole from the fortec and then install the dish? I wonder I could just intall the dish using the existing mast of the directv. Would make the install so much easier.

If the DirecTV antenna was installed on a downward sloping roof you might get away with it, will not work if you add a motor! (Or if the DirecTV was installed on an upward sloping roof)

PSB said:
If the DirecTV antenna was installed on a downward sloping roof you might get away with it, will not work if you add a motor! (Or if the DirecTV was installed on an upward sloping roof)

Mine was installed on a one leg of a balcony that is attached to my house on the back side. The base is installed similar to if you installed it flat against the wall of your house. Will that be ok??

PSB said:
Should do, as long as there is clearance east and west!

Ya I'm thinking I won't have to do to much aligning since before I was pointing at 101w and now I want 97W. That's one reason I wanted to go as small as dish as I can without running into an signal quality problems. I was planning on going with a 36" dish for IA5 but if I can use a 31" disn instead and still good signal then I might go that route.

Is anyone from the west (i.e. california) getting IA5 and what size dish are you using? Is there any weak transponder on that satellite that warrents a dish size greater than the fortec 80cm? I'm contemplating whether to go 80cm or 90cm fortec dish. Here in southern california it's pretty much sunny most of the time and if there aren't that many weak transponders then I wouldn't need to go higher than 31" correct? Any feedback would be helpful.

Attachments

• telstar5_ku_pic.jpg
    telstar5_ku_pic.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 129
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Great story - even though it's 4 months old

ESPNU on 110 still ITC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)