Force recording to TV1 even with 'overlap'

minnesotan

Original poster
Sep 6, 2009
Up North
I would like to keep all my recordings with TV1. I've set up the default this way and most of my timers are indeed with TV1.

However, if there are back to back events, e.g., the first event finishes at 6 PM, and the 2nd starts at 6 PM, the system automatically moves the 2nd timer to TV2. And I can't seem to move it back.

I tried to set it up so that recordings stop at the scheduled end time. That didn't change anything.

I suppose I can manually change my timer's finish time. But then I really need to do it by hand and it's not that convenient, is it?

Any advice? It's a 722K that I have. Appreciate it.

Apologies if this has been covered. I searched using 'overlap' and 'back to back', but didn't find anything.

I must ask- Why do you care?

Surely you know the inputs, the tuners, are independent of the outputs, TV1 & TV2. Anything recorded by any tuner can be seen by any output. And all the tuners can record both SD & HD. It is only the TV2 output that will only output in SD, downrezzing an HD program as needed.

If you are recording onTV1 or TV2 you see it on that tuner in live mode. Other than that it doesn't really matter.

Set your recordings to end 0 min late and start 0 min early and it might work (default setting).

I care i guess because the viewers of TV2 are fairly low tech for one thing, and I want to make sure they can watch live TV all the time for another thing. I understand it's probably not typical among all users...

I care i guess because the viewers of TV2 are fairly low tech for one thing, and I want to make sure they can watch live TV all the time for another thing. I understand it's probably not typical among all users...

In dual mode:

Menu - 8 - 5 - disable (disable record plus)

Whichever TV you set the timer on is the tuner that will be used to record it.

Of course if recording on TV 1 (or 2) you cannot watch another
Sat channel on that TV/tuner as it is in use. You can of course watch a recording or OTA TV (OTA on TV1 only)

People on the TV2 output can watch live so long as both sat tuner inputs are not recording something. IOW, I can watch TV2 and tune in a sat program and it will use either tuner 1 or tuner 2, whichever is available, all invisibly to me.

BTW, you CAN watch OTA on TV2 using the following method: On TV1 start recording the desired OTA program to the DVR. Then on TV2 just start watching the recorded OTA program off the DVR. You'll only be a few seconds behind, if desired.

People on the TV2 output can watch live so long as both sat tuner inputs are not recording something. IOW, I can watch TV2 and tune in a sat program and it will use either tuner 1 or tuner 2, whichever is available, all invisibly to me.
What setting do you have to accomplish that? When I go to set a recording from TV2 it asks me what tuner I want to use. If I choose TV1 I can still watch TV2 live (obviously), but if I choose TV2 then I can't change channels in dual-mode without stopping the recording.

Either you know something I don't, said it wrong or perhaps are mistaken.

BTW, you CAN watch OTA on TV2 using the following method: On TV1 start recording the desired OTA program to the DVR. Then on TV2 just start watching the recorded OTA program off the DVR. You'll only be a few seconds behind, if desired.
I was between 5 & 10 seconds behind today, even if it said 'Live TV'.

I keep mine in single mode, so there's the difference. Found it easier to have a second ViP722.

Make sure your default recordings do not start 1 or more minutes early or end 1 or more minutes late.

Any overlap will send the recording to the alternate tuner and there is NO way to stop that.

Top EHD choices

Documentary Channel News

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)