FNG here, looking for answers...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PatrickHenninger

Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
United States
First of all, I've spent quite a bit of time browsing the site before joining, and it seems like the place to be! I'm absolutely wet behind the ears when it comes to Satellite, and I ended up getting started purely out of desperation for entertainment (and maybe a new hobby.) I live in Eastern NC, right on the edge of Hofmann National Forest, and the only services available are 3.0Mbps DSL, Dish, and DTV. No cable, whatsoever. Anyhow, I heard about the whole FTA thing, and I'd be happy just to have a few more channels to flip past, than the 6 local channels I pick up with an open air antenna. I've been around other sites, even some I had to pay to join- and that was a mistake. I figured if I was PAYING I would get some kind of help, feedback, or anything...but nothing.

Here's what I've got:

A Slimline dish with LNB (I think it's a single LNB, there's only 1 coax coming from it, again I'm a n00b, might be wrong.)
Yeah, that's it. I have been sitting on my hands when it comes to buying a Rx, because there are just SO MANY CHOICES, and even more opinions. Even worse, I'm learning there are "clones" that are cheap copies of big name boxes? Ugh. I've got "Satellite Director" on my phone, and from what I can tell, it will pretty much get me where I need to be when it comes to pointing the dish. I've also got a nice, unobstructed view of the sky, I hear that's kinda important. :)

Here's what I want:

Something reliable, with a good support backing. Don't need PVR/DVR. Not sure if I need something with WiFi/Cat5 connections- from what I understand, that's for doing "things" I'm not particularly interested in...at least any time soon.
I'm in the IT field, and pick up new concepts at a high rate, so I expect to pick up quickly. I have been looking online at the "Dreamlink T5" but that's only because I haven't heard anything horrible about them.

Here's what I DON'T want:

A motorized dish, overly complex setup, a box that needs an external cooling device... I'm sure I'll think of something else later.

So, I welcome your feedback and opinions, I know everyone won't agree on the same Rx, but I've gotta start somewhere, and a reputable retailer would be great too, as there's nothing local (that Google has been able to find, at least.)

If I were a total newbie (we all were newbies before), even if I already had a slimline (I had a World Direct dish before and couldn't get it to work!), and if I couldn't find a decent FTA dish on Craigslist (I lucked out, but they're not always found in one given area), I would still probably save a lot of time, money, and frustration going with the setup in the following link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEOSATpro-m...US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item1c304e40e7

Welcome to the site!!

I agree with N. GA. I would not try using the slimline and go with what he listed in the link.

Gotta agree. Taking what's really an undersized dish, and modifying it to work, could be an exercise that produces nothing but frustration. Get some experience with the equipment that's purposed and the superdish mod later will be a lot smoother.
Sooner or later you'll 'splurge'.
A motorized dish- Well being there's 'a little bit here, a little bit there, on each satellite across the arc a motorized dish is more convenient than aiming a fixed dish here today, there tomorrow. and repeat.
The other alternative is multiple fixed dishes. Or a few fixed dishes and a motorized.
It's not that complex to have multiple dishes<<link, or a motorized, think the majority here do it that way<<link.
And none, AFAIK, require external cooling any longer.

Alright, thanks for the info! Now I just gotta find something to do with this stupid Slimline... Maybe I'll set it up at my shooting post. Again, thanks for the input- I'll see if I can get one ordered after Christmas!

A good one meter dish/lnbf that's motorized will get you tons of free tv. MicroHD is popular receiver, X2 Premium HD (amazon) also good cheap alternative. There's lots of wrinkles to the signals nowadays, but those two receivers will do 95% of what's up there, that isn't scrambled. Once you get a dish planted (on a pole in the ground is much easier to work on/set up) let us know what you want to watch. It's a hobby that's addicting, most of us learn quickly where to find things we like to view. And no, don't think you'll need to worry about connecting to the internet. Some of the receivers now can update their firmware by internet when a new version is available, but you can download the file to a usbstick and load it that way too. Firmware doesn't change that often anyway. Welcome to satelliteguys, you'll enjoy free to air.

Alright, thanks for the info! Now I just gotta find something to do with this stupid Slimline... Maybe I'll set it up at my shooting post. Again, thanks for the input- I'll see if I can get one ordered after Christmas!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, PatrickHenninger!

I'd definitely go with what Northgeorgia suggested to buy, but I'd also save the Slimline for messing around with later, for when you're more familiar with FTA. like everyone else said, the Slimline would be real hard to set up as a first dish because of it's small size and LNB and would probably frustrate you to no end right now, but later on down the road you may find a use for it.

While on the subject of smaller dishes, looking around on Ebay, Amazon, wherever, you may see some smaller Ku FTA dishes for sale cheaper than what Northgeorgia recommended, like 76 cm, and be tempted to go with them because of the lower price. I'd recommend not getting anything smaller, the price difference can be tempting but the smaller dishes won't perform as well and will be harder to aim.

As A Raine suggested, keep the Slimline for a possible future project. It is usable, but the LNBF that comes with it won't receive linear Ku (FTA signals). Once you become more experienced, you can modify the Slimline with a different LNBF and put it to use as a second dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Paul Crouch, Founder of TBN, passed away this morning

Confirmed. Sky Angel is out of business as of January 14th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)