Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
Just got a notice and verified on their site

FIOS is available in Massachusetts

Anyone who has done it, should I drop DISH and COMCAST for FIOS
internet and TV?

What does everyone think?

Pros, cons?

I also have a second phone number/Earthlink Business DSL. Is it possible to have them keep the copper for that number and DSL?

Just got a notice and verified on their site

FIOS is available in Massachusetts

Anyone who has done it, should I drop DISH and COMCAST for FIOS
internet and TV?

What does everyone think?

Pros, cons?

I also have a second phone number/Earthlink Business DSL. Is it possible to have them keep the copper for that number and DSL?

Yes, drop them and go Fios. Yes, they can port your phone number if you so desire.

Pro, better picture quality, lower price and faster Internet speeds.

Con, well, read through some of the threads. The DVR is OK, but not as good as other offerings from other providers. I think that eventually this will get cleared up, and the shortcomings are something that most can get used to or work around.

Pro, much better customer service than any other provider out there but wtire down the customer service number somewhere because finding it is not always easy.

Con, iIf you are not taking advantage of HD then you are missing the real bargain and you wont really notice the improved picture quality, but there is a slightly better quality even in SD.

Pro, no rain fade or dropout. ALthough sometimes the broadcaster does experience this in the transmission, you will never miss an entire movie as I used to do with Dish.

Con, with Internet phone a home alarm system will not be able to dial the provider. If this is something that you have, other options are available like low cost base service.

Pro, if you do a lot of long distance calling and do not have a cellular plan that includes a lot of free long distance, IP phone service would save you tons. Shop around. The break given to use Verizons IP phone may not be the best deal out there.

Again, I encourage you to read through some of the older posts from other threads. There are detailed conversations about the shortcomings of the FIOS service and how other have gotten around some of them. You will notice that I am probably the most critical of FIOS on this site and I still recommend them over the competition. I believe that Verizon will listen to the customers and eventually fix the areas that they fall short in, contrary to what some may say about me.

Good luck in your decision and I hope that you subscribe and participate with us in the forum.

Hi

Yes I have HS, 63" mits dlp :)

About the phone/dsl. I could not get Verizon to do this. They said both numbers would need to go to copper at the same time, even though they are billed seperately and Earthlink/covad even ran a 3rd copper to my house for the dsl.

So I wanted them to put in the fios, and leave earthlink. Move my static ip machines to FIOS business static ips, so no down time, then turn off earthlink.

Can't seem to find anyone who will allow or do this at verizon....

FIOS and keeping copper

Golf Channel/Versus HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)