Feeling ripped off

LT1MP

Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Meridian, ID
Hello all,
I'm sorry to whine on my 1st post, but I'm looking for options. I have been using a vip722 receiver for the past couple of years. I also always used my over the air antenna to record network shows to the dvr using the Antenna In port on the back of the receiver. Well, my 722 quit working and dish sent out a tech to fix it. I was at work when he was here. The tech ended up replacing the receiver with a version of the 722 that does not have the port in the back for my antenna in. I called dish and they told me to unscrew the a back panel and I would find the port there. However there is no port there. I called back again and was told that I would have to pay dish $50.00 for a box to slide in there. I don't understand why I have to pay another 50 bucks to have the same features as my older receiver. I have the service plan and everything too :( Another problem is that this receiver has horrible lag when accessing the guide. How can a newer box be worse than an old one? I'm thinking about just sending the new receiver back and using a HTPC. Any thoughts?

It sounds like the tech replaced your 722 with the newer 722k. If that's true then yeah you would need the $50 OTA module, The advantage with this though is that with this module, you can record up to 4 shows. (2 from OTA and 2 from the satellite)

ckhalil18 said:
It sounds like the tech replaced your 722 with the newer 722k. If that's true then yeah you would need the $50 OTA module, The advantage with this though is that with this module, you can record up to 4 shows. (2 from OTA and 2 from the satellite)

It will give you access to OTA channels on TV2.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah but the Tech should have been upfront and told him that he was giving him a newer model with fewer capabilities out of the box. He was effectively downgraded without being asked if he want to be. Poor customer service brought to you by a lazy or poorly trained TSE.

The OP is all taken care of now.

Yes I have been!
Matt did a great job taking care of me. Also on a side note I was told the tech that came out to the house was very professional and courteous. He also replaced a bunch of stuff to bring the system "up to code" and for preventative maintenance reasons. That, and it's much neater outside now. Maybe the guy didn't know I actually used the outside antenna?

I think the some technicians just forget about the OTA detail, while others may know and hope the customer doesn't notice.

Great that the response team took car of the OP. However, this is really a simple matter as the OP explained and should have been taken care of at the basic CSR level. That is Dish's weakness, still.

Honestly, I had a tendency of overlooking OTA use with our receivers for awhile (this site made me change that thinking). I can see how a tech would also overlook it.

It's a good possibility that it was simply an oversight due to the tech being unfamiliar with the OTA function on the receiver. One would think, however, that when he swapped cables over, why he didn't wonder why he had an extra cable. A little more savvy tech would have picked up on this and might have had the adapter on his truck, thus making the OP "whole" again without having to go to all this trouble. But hey, thanks to Matt for coming to the rescue (again).

On a side note, I know several otherwise GOOD techs who have no idea how to do a OTA channel scan on a VIP receiver.

Euronews Changes...

Receiver Upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)