FCC response to my email about HD "lite"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
dragon002 said:
i have to agree with the panther here, the FCC has never mandated a switch to HD, only to digital transmission.
and nmstough is correct also, let the market place dictate, not the feds.
there are local affiliates here in my area that are switching to digital , but not to hd, are you going to force a standard on them also?
just some thoughts

The net stations are licensed to operate in the public's "interest, convenience. and necessity." You want to start your locals shaking? Write them a letter and ask that it be put in their "Public Inspection File". Show a copy to the FCC. Tell them that they are not acting in the public's "Interest, Convenience, and Necessity" and I promise....PROMISE you, when their public file starts filling up with these, your locals will move a little faster. You can even follow the letter up with an appointment to view the Public Inspection file during business hours, and they HAVE to let you.
Besides revenue, this is what they fear most.

dragon002 said:
let the market place dictate, not the feds.
That would be good, but the industry has done very little since the 1950's to improve PQ. The FCC had to do something as the industry was doing very little to improve the PQ, with the available technology.

there are local affiliates here in my area that are switching to digital , but not to hd, are you going to force a standard on them also?
just some thoughts
Are you saying they are still broadcasting the network feeds that are in HD, in digital 3x4 with black bars, or are you referring to just local programing, news weather, etc? I know all of the ones in my area transmit anything from the Network, that is available in HD, as HD 16x9, but their local news, weather and local programing is in 3x4 with black bars transmitted in wide screen.

i want my TRUE HDTV

and my coffee LITE

NO VOOM NO DISH

going to be seen on a t shirt AT CES

Last edited:
dragon002 said:

I'd love to see an HD mandate for local affiliates of national networks, but that's not going to happen. But I certainly would hold the local affiliate to the same standards if they are advertising "HD" - but without a bitrate standard along with resolution, that probably wouldn't have much impact.

Resolutions have been defined. Enforce them and the resulting picture quality will force them to allocate adequate bitrates.

dervari said:
If you are referring to a station broadcasting in DT and not HD, how does the fact they don't do HD violate this? While you may think so, it is not a necessity to view shows in HD.
This is a really interesting link...\]

This is part and parcel of what the locals are doing. There are some stations that are broadcasting the mininum of power for their digital stations. If you talk to them, and many of you have, they'll tell you they will not upgrade until they are made too. So, let's make them. Low power digital signals devoid of HD, is not what the FCC had in mind and they know that. The laws can get more specific but it will take a grass roots movement to do so.

jamey,

you are not getting the basis of our argument, EVEN if the locals and nationals were at FULL DIGITAL power, they DO NOT HAVE to broadcast in HD.......EVER, JUST DIGITAL.

think of this, the FEDS you say are trying to get us a better picture???? ROTGLMAO (as doc would say)..BULLSH#T!!!!!!,, they want to sell the digital sprectrum rights as they have done , THEN sell the old spectrum to raise money for the FEDS to spend!!!! all told probably three fourths of a TRILLION $$$$.

they could give a rats behind about your PQ......sorry.

the feds huh?? QUOTE,,,,The scariest thing that any american should ever even imagine is a knock at the door, and a man at the door says "i am here from the federal government and i am here to help you"......... RONALD REAGAN

the FEDS part 2 QUOTE,,,,If you know you have done nothing wrong, and there are 3 black SUVs in your yard and the doorbell is ringing,,,when the door comes down, shoot for the FACE they are wearing body armor!!!!........G. GORDON LIDDY

let the market decide,,,CAPITALISM WORKS.

Last edited:
and they will sell that spectrum also. either way they get $$$$

i did leave one thing out of my (long) last note, in pittsburgh it is WTAEDT, KDKADT,WPXIDT AND WPGHDT,, they ALL say DT=DIGITAL TELEVISION after the call letters, NOT HD

Last edited:
If the FCC hasn't made any attempt to add any "HD" clause up to this point in the transition, don't expect one - ever.

PANTHER,

if the masses want HD ,it will happen. not thru the FCC or FTC, but because the market will drive it. if the companies can make money selling them, and providing programs in that format turns a profit .....it will happen, without the government....THANK GOD for that.

but if the PUBLIC does not want HD shoved down its collective throats, expect a backlash. MY tax dollars being spent to give WELFARE bums converter boxes because these fanatics want HD THEIR way.. lets see USA=315 million/ 2 million HD tvs in the publics hands/VOOM the GODsend of all HD= 40 THOUSAND/directv=500,000 HD subs/ DISH= 390,000 HD subs.......get the picture???

the public is waiting and seeing, and the american public is pretty smart,,,,usually

The FCC won't mandate HD. The FTC won't (can't) either. The only thing the FTC can do is define what HDTV is, and make sure those that are advertising HD meet those standards (just like "Light" and "Low Fat" is defined for food items)

The converter boxes are for DTV, as part of the transition, not necessarily for HDTV. But that whole giveaway program is a cluster****. They've dragged their feet requiring digital tuners for the past 5 or 6 years, and the public has been continually buying analog televisions during that time - now we'll foot the much bigger bill. :rolleyes:

You know, my wife brought up an interesting point last night. The millions of portable TVs used for OTA reception when away from home are basically going to be rendered obsolete when the conversion takes place. Not really a way to use them with the new DT signals.

dragon002 said:
jamey,
you are not getting the basis of our argument, EVEN if the locals and nationals were at FULL DIGITAL power, they DO NOT HAVE to broadcast in HD.......EVER, JUST DIGITAL..

Yes, I understand what you are saying and I heard it in the 60's about Stereo generators on FM. If you want to believe that the FCC rules once on posistion and then never never never does a revision, that's fine.

I'm offering a way to get the FCC's attention. But I guess it's more fun to do nothing and complain.

Jamey K said:
Yes, I understand what you are saying and I heard it in the 60's about Stereo generators on FM. If you want to believe that the FCC rules once on posistion and then never never never does a revision, that's fine.
I'm offering a way to get the FCC's attention. But I guess it's more fun to do nothing and complain.

jamey,

i understand what you are saying, hell the FCC flip-flops more than john kerry. so are you saying now they should go back NOW after granting until 2009 the hard date for digital transition, to say it has to be all hd at a certian bit rate and resolution?? ok, now the broadcasters, satcasters, cablecos and content providers all either class action sue the feds for the money spent so far (which would be in the TRILLIONS). then they would demand the whole thing be re - thought with a new timetable,,, probably around 2015.
no jamey, let the market dictate, let capitalism work.

dragon002 said:
jamey,
i understand what you are saying, hell the FCC flip-flops more than john kerry. no jamey, let the market dictate, let capitalism work.

Now I understand. You are an activist. I have worked under the FCC for the last 40 years, without regard to political party. You can wait, I don't believe I will. Nor do I want to spend anymore time arguing about it. We each have a choice and I don't want to be lectured on mine.

no jamey , im not an activist.

not a democrat, registered republican , but really not that either. actually 80% conservative 20% libertarian.

dragon002 said:
... 80% conservative 20% libertarian.

when the ratio is 60/40 or better then I'll try to listen to what you have to say, otherwise the effort is wasted on a party line towwer. " More then John Kerry" ugh. How about more then any recent politician, including the beloved Bush, Jr.

Don't mistake the quote in my sig, for a Dem.. I just think that the Neo-Con's have little to no respect for the lives lost.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVR recording shows I don't want

on screen guide listing for NRB Ch 378

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)