Extending a polemounted AT-9 5 LNB dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lowe41

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Hi,

A DTV tech was here today and mentioned to me that I can get a lot better signal if I had better line of sight. I get signals in the in hi 60s to low 70s on all except 119 were I get in the upper 80s. The LOS issue is the apex of my neighbors house and I want the dish there. It is pretty well shielded from wind etc there and it can't go in my backyard. This is what the tech wants me to do, let me know if any of you guys have heard or have done this before?? My dish is mounted on a 1 3/4 inch pole, he wants me to by a coupling to extend the length of the pole 2-3 feet. He told me he was going to fill the poles with sand and brace it to the house so it won't sway as much by being that high. The pole is cemented in and it has been pretty good except with the slightest rain or heavy wind, my HD channels go out? The dish currently sits about 6 feet up on the pole, maybe a little more, it will be 8-9 feet in the air? Also, he said he would brace it to the house so it would not move as much?

Let me know what you guys think and if you have ever done or seen this before?

Any input will be appreciated. I am supposed to call him tomorrow to set up a time for him to come back and do this??

BTW I have a H20-600 because I know someone will ask.

Thank you in advance....

lowe41 said:
Hi,

A DTV tech was here today and mentioned to me that I can get a lot better signal if I had better line of sight. I get signals in the in hi 60s to low 70s on all except 119 were I get in the upper 80s. The LOS issue is the apex of my neighbors house and I want the dish there. It is pretty well shielded from wind etc there and it can't go in my backyard. This is what the tech wants me to do, let me know if any of you guys have heard or have done this before?? My dish is mounted on a 1 3/4 inch pole, he wants me to by a coupling to extend the length of the pole 2-3 feet. He told me he was going to fill the poles with sand and brace it to the house so it won't sway as much by being that high. The pole is cemented in and it has been pretty good except with the slightest rain or heavy wind, my HD channels go out? The dish currently sits about 6 feet up on the pole, maybe a little more, it will be 8-9 feet in the air? Also, he said he would brace it to the house so it would not move as much?

Let me know what you guys think and if you have ever done or seen this before?

Any input will be appreciated. I am supposed to call him tomorrow to set up a time for him to come back and do this??

BTW I have a H20-600 because I know someone will ask.

Thank you in advance....

Mine is mounted on a pole about 9 feet tall. I have had no issues with signal loss. We haven't had any hurricanes or real heavy winds, though.

Thanks for the info, is yours braced to your house in any way? and is your pole filled with sand or something like that?

My only issue is that this is going to be an extension to the pole currently in place and how is that going to hold up in the long run.

lowe41 said:
Thanks for the info, is yours braced to your house in any way? and is your pole filled with sand or something like that?

My only issue is that this is going to be an extension to the pole currently in place and how is that going to hold up in the long run.

Mine is freestanding with no sand in it. It is 3 feet in the ground with 160 lbs of concrete. You should attach yours to the house with a bracket of some sort.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

H20 - Picture black and no sound

D* & Comcast locals hookup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)