eSATA expansion?

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Anyone here successfully been able to expand the capacity of their SA8300 via the eSATA port on the back? Mine shows up as enabled on both of my SA8300HDs. There seem to be conflicting reports of what works over on AVSforum. I was hoping to find a proven formula.

Thanks,
Ted

I've been using the Maxtor Quickview 300Gb drive for a month now. Works fine. It's pricey compared to alternatives you've seen discussed on AVSforum, but I haven't heard of any problems with it.

You can find out if SATA is active by putting your 8300HD into diagnostic mode.

Here's how:

Simultaneously press and hold SELECT and EXIT on the front panel, not the remote, for about 4 seconds until you hear a "ding", then release. The display will briefly show "diag". Press exit again and your box will tune to channel 611 where a wealth of information is displayed. Use the navigation keys on the remote to scroll down the left hand contents column to view each page.

Now look for SATA. If it says something like "SATA Status: Authorized" you're good to go! Obviously, you're going to want to check that there's an open SATA port on the back of your box.

Basshive, I see you're in WI - you might want to take a look at this thread I just created at the MilwaukeeHDTV forums, specifically about the SATA functionality on the 8300HD in the Milwaukee area:

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6538

Last edited:
hah! I knew as soon as I saw your name in the post that it was familiar (from milwaukeehdtv.org)!! Thanks for the info. I am checking it out now. I could be a very happy man. Appreciate it :)

Bye Bye Inhd 2!

No more INHD2 in Garland,TX.(Dallas)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)