editing and cables for KPT-966 sat meter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Hi guys,

I purchased this cool little satellite meter on ebay after seeing a discussion on them in another thread. Several meters were discussed but the one I settled on is mentioned in this post, http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/249800-3-5-lcd-signal-meter.html#post2503401

On ebay it was this meter I believe.. (I don't mean to promote any one dealer over any other)

Anyway, I now have one of these meters and I really like it a lot. It's super easy to fine tune a satellite with this gadget even for idiots like me... :D

My problem with it however is that I can not for the life of me figure out how to edit the list of satellites in it. It came blank. I had to manually enter each and every satellite and transponder into it by hand through it's keyboard on the front. Navigating it is clumsy at best. There is a grid of the alphabet and it's in, alphabetical order. It reminds me of my son's original Nintendo machine back about 1991... :(

Once you've put some satellites in, that's it. As you add new satellites they just stack up in the order entered. So you can't for example enter a bunch and skip 99w then come back later and insert 99w in the middle of the existing list, it can only be added to the end of the list.

Renaming satellites is no fun either and won't change their order.

There must be some software and a cable to let you do all this on a pc then upload it into the meter. There's a USB port marked UPGRADE on it but it's the wrong one! It's like the one on the back of the PC, it's flat. The if you plug a cable into it then the cable is backwards and you can't plug the square end into the pc ! :(

Does anyone know how to get into this thing via PC and edit it?

Thanks ! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4256.resized.JPG
    IMG_4256.resized.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 259
  • OT389-5b.jpg
    OT389-5b.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 251
Contact the seller and see if they offer a PC based editing program. You would insert a USB flash drive into the meter and save the Data Base from the menu.

Load the saved file onto the PC and edit the satellite/transponder/channel list on the PC. Save back to the USB drive then load the file back into the meter.

I think I found the answer.
I googled about and found a drawing of how to make a DIY cable. I'm going to give it a try this evening. :D

I didn't think it was that difficult. Click "add", name the bird whatever you like, set the LNB settings for the bird and then scan. It then loads all the TP and channel info in. To tell the truth I sat at my computer and moved the dish to each sat with the VBox and then plugged the coax into the meter and set up the sat in the meter, then on to the next one. Then I had them all there when before I went to a dish and started using it for aiming. I know that's kinda putting the cart in front of the horse but I had the capability to do it that way and did.

Contact the seller and see if they offer a PC based editing program. You would insert a USB flash drive into the meter and save the Data Base from the menu.

Load the saved file onto the PC and edit the satellite/transponder/channel list on the PC. Save back to the USB drive then load the file back into the meter.
I seriously doubt the seller even knows how to use it, much less have any other info on it. I tried asking him for info and his command of the english language is terrible.
I googled about and found a drawing of how to make a DIY cable. I'm going to give it a try this evening. :D
If you get that working you will have to let us know how to also ;)

I remembered I have an "ROG cable" (Republic of Gamers). It's a USB cable with an "A" connector on both ends. Used for over-clocking on the fly from another computer. I plugged in the meter to my computer. The response looked promising but you definately need software of some kind to interface with the meter. The meter controls are inactive when connected to a computer.

Well after doing some research on this meter, I've come to the conclusion that the only use for the upgrade port was during manufacturing. It was left behind as "bling for your toy". The "named manufacturer" is Kangput. Try tracking that down. Seems to be a name only.Contact is only made thru a third party of which there are many. At this point I figure I could program the meter manually way faster than I'll ever track down how to do it over the computer, if it even can be done. LOL The port is marked "upgrade" not data management or something to indicate such. I have a USB port on my TV for upgrades that have never come out. But at least there is a place to check. There are a lot of places to buy this meter but nobody supports it. Which just goes to prove the old addage; "You get what you pay for"

Meh...... Well, you get what you pay for. I'll just have to either put up with a jumbled mess on the thing or wipe it clean and start over and enter EVERY satellite in the US, IN ORDER...

Of course when you think about it, I'm only using a few sats when setting up a motorized dish. Tune your due south sat and then drop down to either horizon and tune the ends of the arc. The rest of them just naturally follow. But if you are setting up fixed mounts you need the info for every sat you point at. But then I'm still not useing a list in order of position.

Of course when you think about it, I'm only using a few sats when setting up a motorized dish. Tune your due south sat and then drop down to either horizon and tune the ends of the arc. The rest of them just naturally follow. But if you are setting up fixed mounts you need the info for every sat you point at. But then I'm still not useing a list in order of position.

Well, I have a mixture of motorized C and KU dishes plus several dishes without motors. Also I am afraid to say that I find myself changing them all around fairly often.
It has become sort of an OCD kinda thing for me..

Attachments

• IMG_4263.resized.JPG
    IMG_4263.resized.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 202
Well, I have a mixture of motorized C and KU dishes plus several dishes without motors. Also I am afraid to say that I find myself changing them all around fairly often.
LOL. Nice farm! I'm jealous. My neighbors would freak if I put up that many dishes. But I'm going to push it anyway ;)

Attachments

• DishJune 002.JPG
    DishJune 002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
  • DishJune 001.JPG
    DishJune 001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 190

Complete with "Dish Guard DOG" :D

eurosport84 said:
Complete with "Dish Guard DOG" :D

She always seems to know what I'm doing and always gets in the picture. She's a ham and an expert photobomber.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Polor Rotor control?

C-band on my new geosatpro 1.2m

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)