Echostar EX-5 62.15W Technical Modifications

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Major changes in the EX-5 BSS 17/24 Ghz design.

Previous design was a conventional Conus beam supplemented by a steerable spot for Mexico City.

New Design has a Conus North Beam (Eastern US), a Conus South Beam ( Southeast US), a Conus Beam (Continental US), and 30 spot beams steerable as a group. The spot beam group includes Mexico City and Puerto Rico.

Very strong transmissions (several beams will be derated so as to not exceed FCC standards.

Operations will be in one of two modes.

All three Conus beams will operate simultaneously in the 17.3-17.7 Ghz band over twenty four, 26 Mhz channels or, the North and South Conus beams will opearte over six, 26 Mhz channels and each spot beam will use a 88 Mhz channel.

The Mexico City spot will use the 100 Mhz in the 17.7-17-8 Ghz range (US transmissions are prohibited in this range (reserved for fixed base operators in the US). Mexican transmissions are pending approval.

Probable use is listed as Video on Demand and Local into Local but is non-specific (see narrative for details).

Attachments

• EX-5 62.15W Plus 50 dBw Spot Contours.jpg
    EX-5 62.15W Plus 50 dBw Spot Contours.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 358
  • EX-5 62.15W Plus 50 dBw Composite Conus.jpg
    EX-5 62.15W Plus 50 dBw Composite Conus.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 347
  • EX-5 62.15W Conus North.jpg
    EX-5 62.15W Conus North.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 349
  • EX-5 62.15W Conus.jpg
    EX-5 62.15W Conus.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Ex-5 Narrative.pdf
    217.2 KB · Views: 355
  • EX-5 62.15W Conus South.jpg
    EX-5 62.15W Conus South.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 375
Since it does not operate on normal DBS frequencies it cannot be a spare for one of the other EA satellites. But, with the number of spot beams and national beams it could do almost anything. I wonder what they are really going to do with it. Maybe it is insurance against losing either the 72.7 or 77 slots since they belong to other countries. It would require an LNB swap/dish repoint but it has the capacity to replace either slot. Dish could set up service with 61.5/61.2/X in case of emergency.

Now I am really confused. First, Dish puts a new bird at 61.5 with excellent coverage for Puerto Rico, and then they say that it is not intended for use by us. Now, almost at the same place, they will put spotbeams for Puerto Rico? Anyway, if this means that someday (sooner the better) we will get the channels we are missing, plus we will have a little room to spare, it is welcomed. If it is only for VOD, it won't help me much...
I am not moving my 61.5 antenna for now, it seems.......

Might see good things happening for Puerto Rico.

Probably will see a new lnb assembly for affected markets. For the 61.5-62.15W slot, something conceptually like the 118.7/119 lnb (a little larger, oval lnb face) would pick up both the DBS and BSS satellite.

Both Directv and Dish/Echostar are adding BSS 17/24 Ghz (the official FCC description) satellites to their fleets which will significantly increase available bandwidth.

The Puerto Rico and Mexico City spot beams are not overlaid by any of the Conus beams (they can use both polarities) so they should have twice the channel capacity of the other spots (which will be sharing bandwidth with the Conus beams).

A standard DBS satellite channel band is 27 Ghz wide as compared to 88 Ghz on the BSS satellite (more bandwidth, more capacity).

The use may be a mix of things, Puerto Rico channels, adding locals, and lots of Video on Demand (Blockbuster streaming?)

Probably will see a new lnb assembly for affected markets. For the 61.5-62.15W slot, something conceptually like the 118.7/119 lnb (a little larger, oval lnb face) would pick up both the DBS and BSS satellite.

Both Directv and Dish/Echostar are adding BSS 17/24 Ghz (the official FCC description) satellites to their fleets which will significantly increase available bandwidth.

The Puerto Rico and Mexico City spot beams are not overlaid by any of the Conus beams (they can use both polarities) so they should have twice the channel capacity of the other spots (which will be sharing bandwidth with the Conus beams).

A standard DBS satellite channel band is 27 Ghz wide as compared to 88 Ghz on the BSS satellite (more bandwidth, more capacity).

The use may be a mix of things, Puerto Rico channels, adding locals, and lots of Video on Demand (Blockbuster streaming?)

I thought it was called FSS.

Mexico City? As one of the long suffering Mexican satellite bandits, guilty of all kinds of affronts to Dish's loyal, continental-based customers :), please explain.

Re: Construction Schedules

They are currently meeting their license requirements.

Construction must start on/before March 13, 2012 and satellite operational before March 13, 2014.

Contract is with Loral Space which has not announced the construction contract.

Dish/Echostar has a history of walking away from their licenses (presently under FCC sanction for failure to construct and launch several satellites)

I thought it was called FSS.

The FSS you are thinking about are 11.7 -12.2 Ghz ( 118.7W is an example). This satellite will use the newly authorized 17.3-17.8 Ghz frequencies . The DBS (FCC definition) satellites are 12.2-12.7 Ghz which is also part of the larger ITU (International Telecommunications Union) BSS frequency band.

FSS - Fixed Satellite Service
DBS - Direct Broadcast Service
BSS - Broadcast Satellite Service

This satellite will use their existing uplink stations in the US. But, it also has antennas to receive uplinks from Mexico City and Puerto Rico. The Northern/Southern Conus/spot configuration covers all of Mexico The spot beam only covers the Mexico City area so whatever the use, it will be specific to that area. All dependent on Mexican authorizations . Adding to Dish Mexico??

Even though the satellite is capable of providing Mexico service, those features might never be used.

Last edited:

I like to see Dish taking care of its' caribbean customers in a "speedy fashion". By then in 2014, maybe China with the US bankrupt and unable to pay it's debt will have its own array. Thanks Dish, you are so nice. Just like the one for 61.5 that did not reach the proper orbit was rendered useless, the fate of this one is something we heard before. That sure gives the competition a VERY early start.

Since it does not operate on normal DBS frequencies it cannot be a spare for one of the other EA satellites. But, with the number of spot beams and national beams it could do almost anything. I wonder what they are really going to do with it. Maybe it is insurance against losing either the 72.7 or 77 slots since they belong to other countries. It would require an LNB swap/dish repoint but it has the capacity to replace either slot. Dish could set up service with 61.5/61.2/X in case of emergency.

Based on the beam configuration specifically the south CONUS beam, the EX-5 satellite is designed also to be used at 77.2 W, another Dish BSS slot.

Based on the beam configuration specifically the south CONUS beam, the EX-5 satellite is designed also to be used at 77.2 W, another Dish BSS slot.

If Dish launches another identical one for 77.2, a 61.5/62.15/77.2 system could replace the need to use(lease) foreign satellites in the future. Maybe it is a long term goal. I wonder how many year lease they have on 72.7/77.

If Dish launches another identical one for 77.2, a 61.5/62.15/77.2 system could replace the need to use(lease) foreign satellites in the future. Maybe it is a long term goal. I wonder how many year lease they have on 72.7/77.

I believe the lease for 72.7 W is for ten years starting in 2009. I don't know about the one for 77 W but Dish is pushing to expand service into Mexico where subscription additions should be far easier than the highly competitive market in the U.S. Dish has also invested in the QuetzSat-1 satellite so I would think Dish will be at 77 W for a long time. I believe Dish will still need additional spotbeam capacity for the EA even after QuetzSat-1 and E-16 are launched. The Ex-5 satellite should also be able to provide backup for the WA as well although the 77.2 W BSS slot provides a much better look angle for the WA.

Vip-211k Audio/Video freezing inttermittently

Is HD Theatre Going Bye Buh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)