E* sat locations

bcope9

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Thomson, GA
I was wondering if I could get a list of all the current and future locations for E*. I have talked to a Dow Electronics rep and when E* and D* where going to merge the toroidial dish was going to be used for the capacity. So if a 90 cm dish can cover 40-45 degrees, we may be onto the ONE Dish.

Known:
61.5 dbs
85 ?
105 fss
109 ?
110 dbs
119 dbs
121 fss
148 dbs
157 dbs

Technically one dish could reach from 85-121, is this correct?

That may be the only way Charlie can deliver all his sat locations on ONE dish by 2008 like he promised the FCC. The toroidial dish might be what he is aiming for.

No he is not going to a motorized dish, that would cause to much problem with the software, like software is not already an issue. Dow said that was not in the cards.

Ignoring the very real software issues, a motorized dish is unacceptable because you can only have one receiver controlling it. Any slaved receivers could only access whatever bird the master was looking at. Consumers would reject it out of hand.

SimpleSimon said:
Ignoring the very real software issues, a motorized dish is unacceptable because you can only have one receiver controlling it. Any slaved receivers could only access whatever bird the master was looking at. Consumers would reject it out of hand.
Guess thats why its R.I.P. before long for BUD... but maybe a variation of with multible lnbs...

bcope9 said:
Known:
61.5 dbs
85 ?
105 fss
109 ?
110 dbs
119 dbs
121 fss
148 dbs
157 dbs

Technically one dish could reach from 85-121, is this correct?

83 FSS/Ku
85 FSS/Ku & Ka
97 Fss/Ka
105 FSS/Ku & Ka AMC-2(soon to be replaced with AMC15. AMC 2 rumored to move to 85)
109 FSS
113 Fss/Ka
121 FSS/Ku - KuX Echostar IX

Only the 105 Fss/Ku & 121 Fss/Ku are currently in use.

Did I miss anything?

A torridial(sp?) dish can see that much, but with the FSS bands, you may need a much bigger dish.

If Dish/Direct had merged, then they would have had 96 TPs accessible with only the D* triple LNB dish. On top of that, their duplicates would cut their current needs in half for both National channels, but also locals.

I doubt they'd be futzing around with FSS sats if the merger had gone through.

How come it seems that directv can carry a whole lot more channels from their 3lnb dish which accounts 46TPs yet it seems a lot less is carried on the dish 500 when the have 50TPs, nvmd I figured it out. Sounds like poor spot beam planning, but then again dish has more locals than D*

101-110-119
E* Conus - 40
E* Spot - 10
D* Conus - 34
D* Spot - 12

BFG said:
How come it seems that directv can carry a whole lot more channels from their 3lnb dish which accounts 46TPs yet it seems a lot less is carried on the dish 500 when the have 50TPs, nvmd I figured it out. Sounds like poor spot beam planning, but then again dish has more locals than D*

101-110-119
E* Conus - 26
E* Spot - 28
D* Conus - 34
D* Spot - 12
A bit of fuzzyness on the counts there. E* has 16 ConUS beams on 119 and 24 ConUS beams on 110 - total 40 ConUS beams on Dish500. E* currently uses 5 transponder frequencies on both slots for spotbeams, with a capacity of 50 spotbeams.

"Poor spot beam planning?" What about D*? There are 11 of their 106 markets that cannot get locals in all areas of the market. Is this because they added markets that their spots didn't completely cover?

E10 will be a better satellite than E8 and E7, 45 spotbeams. E* is showing improvement! And the extra satellites in the KuFSS band will always have a good use.

JL

oops, not sure how I added those up but, caught it ;)

Now that I've fixed my number, my original question comes back in. How come it appears that D* can deliver more conus channels from it's triple sat which is only 34TPs vs the 500 which has 40TPs

Superdish Install From Dish..

811 on screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts