Please reply by conversation.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I have 2 H-10s and eventually will get the Mpeg4 HD DVR , somewhere down the line, I currently use a SD DVR for any recording I need to do...

If I purchase a Two tuner HD DVR (D*s) , I will get charged a $ 4.99 p/m charge to mirror the programming, the recording features (TIVO type) cost another $ 5, correct ?

So in essense, I will be charged an addl. $ 10 p/m for the privlege of having thier DVR. Is this correct or am I missing something here ?

also seeing it would be a 2 tuner unit, Does it have 2 access cards in it ?
Do they charge you $ 5 for each card (mirroring)? $ 10 + 5 for the Recording part.

Obviously, I have never had a D* DVR.
What cost are involved if I purchase 2 HD DVR's and trade in (is that what they will be doing, or do we keep the existing equipment, seeing I bought it ?)

I currently have 1 H-10 in the home and 1 at the 5th wheel, at the campground, if I replace with the DVR's I will probably replace both.
Any issues with the 2nd one not being plugged into a phone line, I can always set it up at home if it makes a difference.

I know there are no definite answers seeing the units are not available yet, but any opinions and or insight will be appreciated. :yes

Jimbo

Well I can answer some of your questions, the 4.99 fee for the dvr service covers all the dvrs in your home, so if you get 2 dvrs, the 4.99 covers both, if you have TCPremeire that 4.99 fee is waived, I'm fairly sure theres only one card in the unit, finally, you will not have to pay a mirror fee for the second dvr tuner.

damaged said:
Well I can answer some of your questions, the 4.99 fee for the dvr service covers all the dvrs in your home, so if you get 2 dvrs, the 4.99 covers both, if you have TCPremeire that 4.99 fee is waived, I'm fairly sure theres only one card in the unit, finally, you will not have to pay a mirror fee for the second dvr tuner.

I will have the TC+ package, with HD during football season (Sept - Feb)
I understand that the 2nd TIVO tyype charge is waived, that helps.

Seeing that there are two tuners in each, they only charge $ 5. I hope ?
I just don't want the bill to be an addll. 10 - 15 dollars, if I do purchase the new stuff, If so ,I will have to do without the DVR.

Will the DVR work without being plugged into the phone line ?

Thanks,
Jimbo

jimbo - you need the phone line for the inital activation.. after that it will work fine without a phone line.. after a few weeks you will get a "nag" screen that pops up 1 time per day telling you to call in - but it does not hurt the functionailty of the tivo

jim

I believe the DVR fee is now $5.99. You pay the fee for one box, so if you have 4 DVRs it's still $5.99. There is one access card per machine & each machine will have a mirroring charge. The dual tuner needs two lines coming in from your satellite to be able to use. I do highly recommend giving the DVR a shot, most people that have them absolutely love them.

Yes, though, you pay the $5/mo mirroring fee per receiver, regardless of how many inputs it has.

So adding a D* DVR in addition to your standard receivers when you've never had one will be $10.99/mo.

If you get TC Premiere, it would be only $5/mo. TC+ is not sufficient.

1) Right, if you have one DVR and it has 2 tuner inputs and you use both, you only pay the mirror fee for the 1st input, the second dvr input is free, they don't charge you a mirror fee on a second tuner on the same DVR.

2) Right, you will be charged for the DVR service fee (which covers all the DVRs on your account for the same single fee), and the (one) mirror fee (which covers BOTH tuners in any one DVR), if you have two DVRs then you will pay ONE mirror fee on each DVR which covers both tuners in each DVR.

3) Right, TCPremiere you get the DVR for the mirror fee only, no DVR service fee.

Thanks for the replys guys,
Very helpful, I will probably wait till the MPEG4 DVR comes out, but now I know the ins and outs of how they price them

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Need a little help, guys . . .

HD DVR Install w/R10 and old Hughes DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)