DVR 625 Install Question

Arizman2

Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Arizona
New to forum, have two questions.

BACKGROUND

I have been using a DP301 for may years and have used it on our living room TV. It has a single cable from the lnb wired directly to the Satellite Receiver.

When we travel to our cabin, I haul the DP301 up there with me and connect it to a dish that I purchased on Ebay so that we have TV up there for the few weeks we are up there in the Summer.

The last year my sweetheart TV viewing tastes have changed and we cannot settle on what to watch together so I decided to get her a TV to watch in the other room.

A couple of years ago I bought a new HDVR625 and just got around to installing it today to solve our viewing problems.

I connected it (without the second (TV2) to my Satellite dish (dish 500 with pro plus twin) and it fired up ok, downloaded the software update, got good signal lock and called Dish to activate the smart card and receiver.

The card activated and then the program guide downloaded but when I try to view a channel, it tells me that to watch this channel I need to upgrade the smart card (error code 360).

Dish tells me I need to buy a new smart card for $50 and slip it into the empty slot in the front of the 625.

First Question, does this sound correct ?

Second question.

My home was pre-wired with coax cable in the walls with outlets in each.

I have COX high speed internet that is connected to the home coax cable connection outside the house and then connected to to a cable modem in our den using the in-wall wiring outlet in our den. SO, my high speed internet is using our in the wall coax system coax.

I have another coax cable outlet in another room, the room that I want to set up the second TV for my sweetheart.

There is a pre-wired outlet for the in home coax next to the spot I am installing the Dish 625 receiver.

Second question.

Can I run the TV2 output from the DVR 625 to the in the wall coax outlet on the wall and then connect the second TV in the bedroom for my sweetheart?

I.E can I use the same coax cabling in the walls of the house for my cos internet and to send the signal from the 625 to our bedroom?

Thanks !

Paul

Yes on the smart card, sounds about right.

You would need to isolate the coax so it is dedicated to satellite service (& maybe OTA) only. If you have cable broadband, I suspect you also have a few lifeline channels also. Hopefully, you have RG6 in the walls, in good shape.

Two years? You win the procrastination award.

They upgraded all the old smartcards within the last 2 years so you probably do need a new one.

If each room has its own dedicated cable line, you can send the signal from tv2 back thru it to the cable box or splitter and connect it to the line to the bdrm

dish pro 508d local channels

211 with external hard drive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)