Dp+44

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
I just got off the phone with Dish ATS and they told me that the DP+44 should NOT be grounded. Is that the case?

He claimed thats why my 921 wont take software downloads and why my 721 switch matrix is messed up. Mind you, my 721 has worked just fine in the same config since I got my DP+44 about 4 months ago.

I can't rightly say as to what's going on with your 921 software download; perhaps you need to move the feed to a different port. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the 721 is fully supporting the DP+44.

The DP+44 switch isn't U/L certified for grounding. You're supposed to have an independent groundblock between the LNB's and the switch

Both have been working just fine. The 721 does support the DP+44, it does not support the DP+ Twin.

This goes back in forth when it comes to E*. Your WIRING needs to be grounded. It is preferable to ground the wiring using an appropriate ground block and then jump to the switch. Since E* goes back and forth on whether you can use the switch as a ground, I never use the switch as a ground. I use dedicated ground blocks.

Now, if he said that, he'e an idiot, since the system needs to be grounded. Try doing a switch reset by physically unplugging ALL your receivers from power at the same time and then hooking them up 1 at a time doing a check switch before hooking the next up. Improper grounding can cause a static charge to build up in the switch/LNB and make them work incorrectly. It's more prevelant on D* than E* in my experience tho.

Thanks for the help. I might try that tomorrow. Just so I understand, you're saying I should put a ground block between the dishes and the switch or between the switch and my wiring?

They agreed to send a DNSC guy out on Sunday. So, we shall see what he comes up with.

The ground block should be located within 2 feet of the entry point of the wiring into the structure, and the switch should be installed between the ground block and the receivers.

Have you tried disconnecting the ground and trying the switch test than, are you using separators or not? Have you tried swapping locations? Is it a legal ground? If the ground source is not a proper ground that could give you a problem. And yes you should use a ground block that is UL certified to a UL certified ground lug, etc. and it should be placed as mention by Larry

Sigh. We've gone back and forth on this for years. A little knowledge (E* CSRs and DNSC supervisors) is a dangerous thing.

They put the ground lugs on the switches for a reason. In fact, the big switches have LOTS of ground lugs. Might that be so they can be used as a "ground hub"? :rolleyes:

There is NO repeat NO difference between a grounding block and the switch chassis. If you don't believe me, get an ohmmeter and test it for yourself.

Some people say that putting a grounding block ahead of the switch can help protect it. No argument (although I think the advantage is minimal), and it's a good idea to have outside ground blocks if the switch is mounted indoors. OTOH, adding a ground block unnecessarily adds connection points - which are likely failure points.

Yes, we have debated this one before. My personal preference is to ground the wiring and then run it into the switch. You can also ground the switch as well as using a ground block. However, having a CSR tell a sub that having his system grounded is the real problem with this situation.......

Well, the DNSC tech was just here and of course, everything is working just fine and he cant find any problems. He also did NOT bring out a DP+44 with him. He said, "they dont allow us to carry them, I will have to order one and come back out."

He also said that the reason they use a ground block with the DP+44s is because the switch isn't UL Listed.

StevenD said:
I just got off the phone with Dish ATS and they told me that the DP+44 should NOT be grounded. Is that the case?

He claimed thats why my 921 wont take software downloads and why my 721 switch matrix is messed up. Mind you, my 721 has worked just fine in the same config since I got my DP+44 about 4 months ago.
My DPP44 is grounded. All my units take downloads just fine. The DPP44 has ground wire connectors!

SimpleSimon said:
Sigh. Neither are the ground blocks.

Simon, I'm not sure what groundblocks you're using, but all of my Perfect Vision (DNS spec, no less) groundblocks have U/L stamped right on the side. The reason for not grounding at the switch is the same reason most cable companies don't ground at the splitter...you simply will blow out that component if you get any major surge. Dish would rather lose a groundblock than a switch ($$$$ !!)

What Larry said I would say. :D

OK, so there's ONE brand of ground block that's listed. :rolleyes: I've got 3 different kinds in my bag, 2 of them from my E* distributor (ie. approved), and none have a UL stamp.

Doesn't bother me a bit - look at the flipping thing and tell me how it could possibly fail? BTW, the difference between white & blue (2Ghz) units is the amount of metal in the center conductor connector.

P.S. My old cabin took direct hits on a tree in the front yard (about 100 feet from the DBS dish, and 50 feet from the BUD) at least a few times a year. I NEVER had a problem. No ground blocks - just grounding the dishes and switches did the job.

Landlord's friend wanted to cut down the tree - I told him NO WAY - it was my lightning rod. ;) 'course, real lightning rods protect in the exact opposite fashion.

Well, <knocks on wood> everything is working fine right now. My switch, antenna, and dishes are grounded, so Im going to leave it alone.

Newbie and New Dish Customer

721 acting up...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)