Does the HD Tivo need to be connected to phone line?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Hi,

thinking about getting the HD Tivo from Direct. But, after I get it all installed I'm thinking about "moving" to LA in order to qualify for the network HD stations. So, my question is Does the HD Tivo need to be connected to phone line?

Thanks

Yes and No. It doesn't really need to be hooked up but, you will get an annoying message after a while. If you don't hook it up you won't get any updated firmware installed on your Tivo.

Fgsilva said:
Hi,

thinking about getting the HD Tivo from Direct. But, after I get it all installed I'm thinking about "moving" to LA in order to qualify for the network HD stations. So, my question is Does the HD Tivo need to be connected to phone line?

Thanks

Yes initially. Or the DVR and Tivo functions will NOT work. gotta go through the setup procedure and make 2 phone calls I believe. Then its up to you. Depends on if you want future software updates. I couldnt record anything until i figured out my VOIP issues and made the calls.

ramy said:
Yes and No. It doesn't really need to be hooked up but, you will get an annoying message after a while. If you don't hook it up you won't get any updated firmware installed on your Tivo.

If you dont hook the phone line up at least once you cant record anything.

ok. thanks for all the replies. I guess I can always just have caller ID block. Although if the local HD are really coming by the end of the summer I probably won't need to "move" to LA anyway... :D

Caller ID block will not work. When you call a 1-800 number it uses a different system and you can not block it. If you are worried about D* seeing your number they don't care and even if they did with the rapidly growing number of VOIP users they can't rely on the number to prove where you are at anyway.

silversurfer said:
Caller ID block will not work. When you call a 1-800 number it uses a different system and you can not block it. If you are worried about D* seeing your number they don't care and even if they did with the rapidly growing number of VOIP users they can't rely on the number to prove where you are at anyway.

Kewl!!! Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv Jade World

I am now suppose to get local channels..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)