Does dish size matter?

fuzzu247

Original poster
May 19, 2005
Hi there, I just got my satellite dish installed, I had purchased the bell expressvu receiver and a 20" dual LNB dish. When the guy came by he said he already had a dish put together (mines was still in the box) so he can use it instead its make no difference. What he installed for me is called meridian or something similar with 1 LNB and the dish size is probably 18" much smaller than my original. My question is, are they really just about the same, is there any advantage in having one over the other? I told him that it doesn't matter to me so he installed his. I called up bell to hook up my receiver and its all working. So was the switch in the actual dish size any big deal?

the size of the dish can sometimes reduce the chance that rain will knock the signal out, but usually if he got a good strong signal, and the dish is mounted securely, that really shouldn't be an issue anyway.

the difference between a 18 and a 20" isn't much. The 20" is so you can hook up 2 LNB's for 91 (main programming) and 82 (HD and ethnic)

The bigger the dish, the less rain fade you will get when it rains. I use to use a 24" dish when I had ExpressVu (southern sub)

Did he take your 20" dish with him?

As Iceberg says, it doesn't make much difference. But if at some point you want to add programming from the second satellite; you would need either the 20" dish, or to install a second dish to along with your 18" one.

Thank You guys so much for the responses, I guess I have nothing really to worry about, the signal strength is 100% so I'm guessing i'm ok. And yes he did take my 20" dish with him.

not good....he should have put the 20" up

Like its noted above, if you need to upgrade later on for HD or ethnics (or some other programming that is on the other satellite), you'll need a new dish and LNB's

Installer Needed

lost anik F1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)