Does DISH Network use TCP

Sorry, your question is NOT straight forward nor clear. Provide the point of your question and others can answer, presuming the answer would provide something within the law.

Are you referring to internet via satellite (Dish does have content via on line via broadband internet, but that is a different service)? Dish does not--currently--directly provide such a service. Echostar (a sister company) does own and lease (at least they just struck a deal to provide the bandwidth) the Ka band on one of its satellites not used for Dish Network services for possibly Wild Blue. But, Echostar is in the process of buying HughesNet, another internet via satellite company.

Sorry, I am a newb on the forums here, and I do apologize.

I am not asking in regards to an online service. My understanding is that DISH networks is a cable/satellite provider. (I am not from the US)
What method of transport do they use to deliver content to the end user?

I am not asking in regards to an online service. My understanding is that DISH networks is a cable/satellite provider. (I am not from the US)

They have a dbs satellite in space, and it beams a Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4 microwave signal to one or more lnb's on a receive only mini-sat dish. Then, there's a coax cable from that receive dish, that goes to a satellite receiver, that decodes that signal which is then shown on a tv set.. That all has NOTHING to do with networking, or TCP, or any of that.

How Does Dish Network Satellite TV Work? | eHow.com

They use DBS (KU band satellite) frequencies here. That do have a way to connect via I-net (TCP/IP) for downloading to the DVR's for other programming that isn't shown on satellite or on demand programming for additional fees. I hope that this is what you are wanting to know.

The band is not the issue, Dish boxes could easily use any KA/Ku bands (or even C band). The LNBs take the correct band and shift it to the frequencies that Dish boxes receive (which is why 118.7/121/105/etc need a different LNB).

Dish is a one way communications system. There is no two way communications which is what a TCP/IP system would require. In the US the Hughesnet or Wildblue systems are the ones he is looking for.

Wouldn't it be possible if the OP has friends in "the states" to hookup a slingbox to a Dish Network receiver to receive this programming?

That seems to be the unstated point of his question. Although I don't think his real intentions are "friendly" to rights holders. ;). Beware of those with questions regarding the TRANSPORT who never provide the REASON they needs such information, always just the stark cold question. He could of at least said he was a college student who is writing a technical report, but how is Dish relevant in Austrailia? Oh, it is an English speaking country?

That seems to be the unstated point of his question. Although I don't think his real intentions are "friendly" to rights holders. ;). Beware of those with questions regarding the TRANSPORT who never provide the REASON they needs such information, always just the stark cold question. He could of at least said he was a college student who is writing a technical report, but how is Dish relevant in Austrailia? Oh, it is an English speaking country?
I think u r overreacting..he was wondering if satellite is similar to internet traffic..thats all

IR Issues/TV Interference

Free satellite location app for Droid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts