DOES DISH BLOCK ISP'S?

hobie16

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
USA (Full time RV'er
I have moved my receiver from New York state to our summer location in southern Ontario and can not get the "Video on demand" to connect. I have empty lists for movies and tv shows and get an error145 when trying to search these categories. I have an ethernet connection to the router and the BB setup indicates that I am connected and on line. I was wondering if the problem is that Dish sees my connection from a Canadian ISP and blocks connection. Anyone know about this??

BTW I can connect to the "customer Service" site and view my bill. I don't have a phone connection so it must be using the BB.

There's a pretty good chance that this is the case. Losing DNS seems to have had a profound impact on how they do business.

Blocking by IP geolocation is pretty easy and, evidently, effective.

DISH must make a reasonable effort to prevent activity that is in violation of their terms and conditions or applicable laws or they may get spanked again.

DISH must make a reasonable effort to prevent activity that is in violation of their terms and conditions or applicable laws or they may get spanked again.
By that same token, they should "question" the location of his receiver(s) as well as they're not allowed to broadcast in Canada. They may just turn a blind eye to these situations though.....

If I were the OP, I wouldn't bother connecting broadband. There's no advantage (other than viewing their bill).

It is certainly possible that the OP is risking opening up a can of audit whoop-ass on themselves. That is their cross to bear for engaging in prohibited activity.

It is also possible that DISH is using very low-level blocking that simply drops any incoming packets. DISH understands all too well that electronic discovery can really bite.

Set up your router so you can run a VPN on it. Then your IP will appear to be back in NY or where ever you want to be. Will cost you approximately $8 a month for a VPN account.

I'm not sure Dish uses IPs to track receiver locations as by mistake for three weeks I had my receivers on a segment of my network that uses an IP in Sweden (Wife is from Stockholm and likes seeing web content and streaming in Swedish). Probably, if Dish noticed they figured it was some type screw up as there was no way my receivers could be active and connected to 110 and 119 if they were in Scandinavia.

All I know is if I was in Canada with my Dish equipment set up, I sure as heck wouldn't connect it to phone or broadband (though the aforementioned VPN would solve the BB issue, so I might do something like that.) Good thing I don't have any intentions of ever going to Canada, though.

Contrary to what some of the repliers think, I don't believe that I am doing anything illegal. I am a US citizen who purchased Dish service while I resided in New York. I take the receiver with me as I travel in my RV. I happen to be in Canada at this time but, last month I was in Texas and before that in Florida. I am not trying to cheat the system, I just think that I should be able to use the service that I pay for. I know Dish can't market their products in Canada but that shouldn't preclude a authorized customer form receiving a signal.!!

Actually as silly as it sounds it IS illegal and against Canadian laws. While you are a guest in their country you are bound by their laws no matter how silly you and I think the law is.

Call Dish and give them your current, albeit temporary, address. Dish is forbidden from *knowingly* providing their signal to people on Canadian soil.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Contrary to what some of the repliers think, I don't believe that I am doing anything illegal. I am a US citizen who purchased Dish service while I resided in New York. I take the receiver with me as I travel in my RV. I happen to be in Canada at this time but, last month I was in Texas and before that in Florida. I am not trying to cheat the system, I just think that I should be able to use the service that I pay for. I know Dish can't market their products in Canada but that shouldn't preclude a authorized customer form receiving a signal.!!

It does preclude it, no question about it. If that receiver is on a home account, and if you have other receivers in the house, that is also against policy. You would need to take all receivers from the house. If it were me I would not be trying go online from another Country to use Dish equipment. As mentioned,Keep in mind laws in Canada are different than here, there you have liability, here you would not for receiving a Canadian signal.

"Canadian law (section 9(1)c of the Radiocommunications Act) prohibits the decrypting of satellite TV signals unless prior authorization has been received from lawful providers of such signals. Only politically favoured companies such as Star Choice, Bell ExpressVu, and Shaw are considered lawful providers in Canada. American satellite TV signal providers are excluded from this category and since no lawful distributor exists in Canada to authorize decoding of their signals, Canadians who decode these signals may be charged under section 9(1)c of the Radiocommunications Act and be tried in court."
I didn't delve into what the status of an American getting a US satellite signal would mean.

These comment are interesting in light of the fact that the first and biggest banner ad on the "satellite guys" web page, when accessed from a canadian ISP, is for "American Tech to Go" Amttg.CA a site that sell American satellite services to Canadian buyers.
So is this web site promoting an illegal activity in Canada?

hobie16 said:
These comment are interesting in light of the fact that the first and biggest banner ad on the "satellite guys" web page, when accessed from a canadian ISP, is for "American Tech to Go" Amttg.CA a site that sell American satellite services to Canadian buyers.
So is this web site promoting an illegal activity in Canada?

That would be a targeted Google ad.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I read my residential customer agreement and the only part that I may have violated is about moving the leased equipment to a new location without informing Dish. I can't find any reference to prohibited areas or international use. Even the clause about moving equipment seems odd to me in that Dish sells Tailgater systems for take along use and also advertises for mobile use in many RV publications. This all seems to be a grey "gotcha" area. But to be sure I will disconnect my BB and not try tof use it again in Canada.

hobie16 said:
I read my residential customer agreement and the only part that I may have violated is about moving the leased equipment to a new location without informing Dish. I can't find any reference to prohibited areas or international use. Even the clause about moving equipment seems odd to me in that Dish sells Tailgater systems for take along use and also advertises for mobile use in many RV publications. This all seems to be a grey "gotcha" area. But to be sure I will disconnect my BB and not try tof use it again in Canada.

The customer agreement has nothing to do with it. It is Canadian law.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

hobie16;2871911[/quote said:
I can't find any reference to prohibited areas or international use. Even the clause about moving equipment seems odd to me in that Dish sells Tailgater systems for take along use and also advertises for mobile use in many RV publications. .

That's what I was saying, Dish is a US company, under US law you are not prohibited, it's Canadian Law you have to contend with. Think of it like this, you can buy a Panasonic video camera, and use as you travel around the Country. Try doing that in Communist China.
The tailgater is a different use. But even at that, Dish does not prohibit you from going mobile, they just want to make sure you can't/won't use their services at two different locations.

hobie16 said:

Not to sound condescending, but that would be like me saying:

I bought my AK47 while i lived in Nevada ( totally legal ) and all i want to do is own it and shoot it while living in california ( totally illegal in stock form).

Sorry, like they say, while in rome do like the romans do.

Is dish phasing out the 1000.4 WA lnb's? If so, anybody know why?

For all the EHD junkies, Seagate to acquire LaCie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)