Distributing Dish

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
I've got a much longer story to go with this but the simply question I'm trying to puzzle out on my distribution system is this:

I have a DVR501 in the home theater room. There are Two Coax cables leading from the laundry room where the Sat Dish leads come in. Due to the use of the optical out and Svideo cables on the DVR501, I don't want to move the receiver into the laundry room to conbine it's signal with the other 3 receivers I will have there.

Instead I want to send it's modulated signal into the laundry room, to be combined with the modulated signal from the other 3 receivers. But I also want to have that combined signal to be then sent into the Home Theater room.

Thus my quandry. I have two coax cables into that room but I find I need 3 signals moved.

Cable 1 - Sat Signal In
Cable 2 - Modulated Signal Out.

Cabel ??? - Combined signals back in.

Can I instead send the modulated signal out on the sat signal in cable? What connectors if any would I need to do this?
Or can I send the combined signal back down the coax that the modulated signal is sitting on?

What components would be necessary to achieve this?
Thanks
Mike

You can send the signal from the recevers in the laundry room to the 510 over the sat signal IN with a pair of diplexers combining the signal in the laundry room and seperating them at the receiver.

One aspect I forgot to mention. Will that allow me to send IR signals down that same Coax for receiver control? Or would I send the IR signals down the Modulated output out.

I'm asking as I believe that the diplexors don't pass the voltage used by the IR Transceiver /encoders.

Hmm, I didn't figure in IR signals. I'm not how that would work. It would probably be better to get UHF kits for those receivers.

The issue is the UHF can't reach the far end of my home where the porch and living room are. They are on a floor above the collection of receivers and at the opposite end of the home.

IR has nothing to do with the cable... its infared light which means the remote uses a little IR LED that sends the signal to another IR LED receptor located on the front of the receiver, so IR is not an option in that particular situation. You'll need to find some way to rig up UHF to work. UHF doesnt use light, it uses radio signals and thats why it can go through walls. You may be able to find a higher powered UHF kit to supplement your IR remote.

I do a lot of Video and Audio Distribution projects in new construction. I have had a lot of success with channel plus equipment. This company has single-quad modulators that connect to different bi-directional amps depending on the amount of outlets you need. The equipment also has a IR blaster function that allows you to control the equipment from anywhere in the house thru IR pods. For example I have a media closet with two receivers,DVD player and cameras all to a quad modulator so each device is on a different channel and is control via the remote thru the IR blaster. The quad modulator connects to a bi-directional amp which distributes the modulated signal thru the whole house. Here is a link of all the equipment and you can download the user manuals of each device. http://www.channelplus.com/products_rf.html
A lot of companies sell equipment like this but channel plus is the only ones I have worked with
Hope this helps with the IR and Distribution problem

Thanks for trying Hokiecb, but I think you don't fully understand.

As far as signal distribution, I think I can do it fine through the rest of the home. It's just this one connection that has me scratching my head.

O.k. I think I have it figured out after thinking some more and the suggestions here.

Line 1 - Connect to a diplexor to both ends with the sat end going to the receiver, and the antenna end going to the Agile Modulator that is taking the output of the receiver and sending it back to the laundry room where the other diplexor will split off to the combiner for the tv output, and connect to the coax from the LNB for the receiver.

Line 2 - Feed the output of the Combiner to the television in the home theater room with support for feeding the IR single along it as well.

I think that works. And I am familiar with the Channel Plus stuff and have seen their Quad Modulator. My only concern with that is sticking all my eggs in one basket. But their equipment has a good reputation. I'll probably add one of their 2 channel units in the home theater room to put both the DVD and the Dish receiver onto the coax.

Dish 811 with Pioneer DVD recorder

Where is the Hard Drive Diagnostics Test?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts