Dissapointing HBH-SA receiver (no recording)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
This sucks, I have a VCR/DVD combo where I would use my VCR *a lot* to tape programs in advance, weekly, etc.

Now, given that my vcr setting really only recognizes CATV, I can only tape CATV programs.

Actually, I can have the vcr record a satellite program, but I have no real scheduling power. That is, I can set the vcr to record "line-1" at time "t", but I have to:

1.) keep the receiver on the satellite channel I want recorded.
2.) make sure nobody changes the channel during the day, else I will get a differnt program recorded.

And, thus, I will not be able to record two differnt channels, since I would have to be home to manually change the channel from the receiver.
This sucks!

Looking through the Hughes manual, it seems that there is another model: the HAH-SA that can perform the same scheduled programming that I was accustomed to; anyone have any experience with this model? Does it actually work? Easy to use?

Thanks

slacker9876 said:
Sounds like you would be the ideal candidate for the SD TiVo for $50 !!!

I was hoping to avoid any more monthly charges :(.
A few more questions:

1.) Where can you get this SD tivo dvr 80 for $50. I thought that the cost was a bit more?

2.) I just purchased a 5-room setup, and am wondering what happens if I buy another receiver (either the HAH-SA or tivo receiver). Can I use the access card in my current receiver for the new receiver? If not, will I be able to switch monthly payments to my new receiver without complications or violations in any contracts?

3.) Are they easy to install? Is it as simple as just plugging in another run of coax from my switch to the receiver (2 lines total).

4.) HAH-SA or tivo?

S43R80 said:
I was hoping to avoid any more monthly charges :(.

I understand, but the 4.95/mo for TiVo is worth it's weight in platinum!!!

A few more questions:

1.) Where can you get this SD tivo dvr 80 for $50. I thought that the cost was a bit more?

I think Directly from D*, they also offer 33/mo for 3 months with a $50 rebate. CC & BB both have $50 TiVo ads on the web

2.) I just purchased a 5-room setup, and am wondering what happens if I buy another receiver (either the HAH-SA or tivo receiver). Can I use the access card in my current receiver for the new receiver? If not, will I be able to switch monthly payments to my new receiver without complications or violations in any contracts?

The TiVo comes with an access card, adding a receiver resets your 1 year commitment, you can KEEP the old receiver and deactiavte from your account. If you decided to use it again just call it it is back in on seconds.

3.) Are they easy to install? Is it as simple as just plugging in another run of coax from my switch to the receiver (2 lines total).

It was simple for me, doesn't mean it is for everyone. If you have 2 runs to one location it should be easy.

4.) HAH-SA or tivo?
I am not familiar with any specific advantages of the HAH-SA over the D10 other than component video, which I have read here but not been able to validate so far. So ... I don't know ... does it record?

FYI I am referring to the DirecTivo unit, not a standalone model.

The Hughes units allow you future select programs. Scroll out into the future in the guide and press select on your program of choice, follow the on screen prompts. A check mark will appear in the program's box in the guide confirming that it is selected and will change to the specified channel at the specified time. If you are watching the TV when the receiver wants to change the channel it will prompt you.

CablerMN said:
The Hughes units allow you future select programs. Scroll out into the future in the guide and press select on your program of choice, follow the on screen prompts. A check mark will appear in the program's box in the guide confirming that it is selected and will change to the specified channel at the specified time. If you are watching the TV when the receiver wants to change the channel it will prompt you.

Oh yeah, that is right. I just gotta make sure that the receiver isn't turned off during any scheduled programming.

You record satellite programs using your vcr this way?

Heah, its kind of funny, but I was kind of hoping that there was no way to do this, as I was looking for an excuse to get the tivo unit. I still may in the future though.

One more question: can tivo record OTA locals?

S43R80 said:
You record satellite programs using your vcr this way?

Umm ... No ... not since DirecTivo! (and before that my Replay which could change the STB itself AND it's guide was accessible through the internet, plus record other sources like OTA). Before those (the Hughes units had this feature since inception I think - at least the B series) it would take an act of God before I would set a VCR to record anything.

Now I go out of my way NOT to watch live TV. 60 minute program in under 40 when skipping advertisements.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Max # of receivers?

Making a 4x1 multiswitch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)