Dishdvr522

lakeside

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
I am sorry if this has come up in the past. I have heard several stories on this, but I think I may know the answer unfortunately. I have the DISHDVR522 dual DVR. I guess its new. I cannot split the outgoing signal to more than one tv. In fact, the signal seems locked onto one tv, like a lock on a PC mac address. If I run the line to another tv, no signal. If I run it to my PC TV card, no signal. Does the 522 somehow latch onto the original TV, and lock out all others, thereby making impossible to mirror the signal? Thanks.

R

You can split the outgoing signal to however many TV's you'd like. You just need to be sure that each TV is set to the same channel. What output are you using?? TV1 or TV2??? Not that it matters, but they are set to different channels.

It is TV2, which is set for channel 73. I have tried everything. The problem may be that the TV I am using is a little old. If you set it to cable mode, I can't tune to 73. If I set to antenna mode, nothing happens on 73. Also tried going through a VCR. But my pc's TV video card picks up nothing as well. It should scan and fine something, I would think..

I ended up setting mine on cable channel 100, and using a broken VCR that would tune that channel to drive the old TV on channel 4. I tried the broadcast channels 21-69 but got too much interference, cable 100 is actually down within the VHF band somewhere.

What did you set up on cable channel 100? I thought the device had to be on 3 or 4 for TV1 and 73 for TV2?

TV1 can be ch 3 or 4, but should be video cabled for any stereo tv with av inputs.

TV2 can be set to any channel that doesn't interfere with actual local frequencies. The default is ch 60, and I leave it at that for OUR area - no interference. The TV(2) HAS to be programmed for AIR (up to ch69), or can be programmed for cable for channels ove 69.
Any additional tv's need to be programmed the same as tv2, for the tv2 signal.

fred

Go into your menu screen and find modulator setup. That will allow you to change the channel inout on TV2. You can change it to air and anything netween 21 and 69. I always set TV2 on cannel 21 to keep it simple for the customer. Two remotes put them together and you see the number 21.

no it does not require it to be on channel 21, you can set it to whatever channel the modulator lets you set it to, whether it be air 60, cable 73 or air 21? It doesn't matter except for signal loss, channel 21 will have less loss than 60 and so on. Set your modulator on the system setup menu installation, modulator setup to channel 35 for example, run an autoprogram search on your new TV and set your old to air and program it in.

lakeside said:
I cannot split the outgoing signal to more than one tv.
This is not due to the DVR (as many others have already said). I've currently got the outputs of my 522 and 322 combined together (splitter used backwards), amplified, and then re-split and sent out to four TV's. I'm modulating on channels 4 and 73 from the 522, and channels 3 and 91 from the 322. I can't put channels 3 and 4 into the mix together, because they're adjacent and cause interference between themselves. But I successfully have channels 4, 73, and 91 going into that backwards splitter (to be combined) and then re-split out to four different TV's. Any TV can tune to any channel. The problem is having to drag the correct remote to the TV you're watching so you can control the 522/322. In practice, the TV's pretty much stick to their "own" channel, except for rare occassions like when one to the 322 TV's wants to watch something recorded on the 522 DVR. If you go for the flexible, but largely unused, setup like I have then be sure to clearly label your remotes so they can easily find their way back home after travelling about the house.

Thanks for all of the input. I will try setting 73 to 21 for now. Dang, guess I'm not going to get any work done this afternoon!

I noticed that the cable channel setting only goes down to the low 70s. But air goes lower. I set TV2 to ch 21 air, and the tv has to be set to 72 to get a signal, now. Sorry, I'm a little clueless. Any more help appreciated

they are very close to the same frequency so your tv may pick it up on a different channel than selected, try a different channel, somewhere in the mid to upper 30's and see if that works

Short example here:
UHF channel 14 = Cable channel 65
15 = 66
16 = 67
17 = 68
18 = 69
upto
uhf 69 = cable 125

Note that the cable vs. OTA channel frequency assignments are offset a bit. Most newer TVs handle it just fine, but some don't.

I think the guy's problem is that he hasn't found the OTA vs. CABLE setting on his TV.

DPP+ and legacy receiver

Is the 942 name based or timer based? Both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)