Dish Olympic Coverage

Will it look like the ESPN true 4K sports coverage of the past? No, but it will still look tons better than the 1080i coverage you will see from OTA or cable coverage on the NBC network.
Basically we will be seeing what the real 1080 HD signal looks like without compression.... (and lets call that 4K) lol.

Kinda pisses me off that Peacock will not be offering the Olympics in 4K! Why have a streaming service and not have a huge event in 4K? Isn't that the advantage of a streaming service, 4K? Offering it only on a special version of USA Network is plain stupid.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Kinda pisses me off that Peacock will not be offering the Olympics in 4K! Why have a streaming service and not have a huge event in 4K? Isn't that the advantage of a streaming service, 4K? Offering it only on a special version of USA Network is plain stupid.
No one is offering real 4K with regards to the Olympics.

But what Peacock will be offering, every event, even the stuff not on NBC and the Universal/Comcast owned Cable Channels, in real 1080P on Peacock, if you have a good enough TV, I doubt you will be able to notice the difference.

There is not one streaming service offering sports in 4K, only TV Shows/Movies are in the higher resolution, which paid Live TV does not provide, for example, CBS shows are in 4K on Paramount+, but in 1080i on Traditional Services

No one is offering real 4K with regards to the Olympics.

But what Peacock will be offering, every event, even the stuff not on NBC and the Universal/Comcast owned Cable Channels, in real 1080P on Peacock, if you have a good enough TV, I doubt you will be able to notice the difference.
Yes, I think we've been programmed to think HD is okay due to compression, when true HD is absolutely gorgeous for sports. Resolution to 4K isn't really relevant, and unless the sporting event is in Cowboy Stadium (or whatever it is called), HDR isn't that necessary either.

1080 is sweet!

Yes, I think we've been programmed to think HD is okay due to compression, when true HD is absolutely gorgeous for sports. Resolution to 4K isn't really relevant, and unless the sporting event is in Cowboy Stadium (or whatever it is called), HDR isn't that necessary either.

1080 is sweet!
Agreed! I don't want to get off track on this thread, but on my Dish DVR, I have Super Bowl 50 saved, it was recorded through the OTA adapter. It was from Feb. 2016 before the repack and before the Chicago CBS channel had any subchannels - the full bandwidth was dedicated to that single channel. Boy it looks good in 1080i. Now CBS is on the same frequency as another 1080i channel (WGN) as well as 4 SD subchannels. The Superbowl from this past February is so pixelated when there is a lot of movement. That is where I am very thankful Chicago has the ATSC 3.0 channels - the picture looks like the channels used to before all these channels were squished into fewer frequencies.

1080 is sweet!
Not what I wrote.

I have seen sports in real 4K/HDR, it absolutely is extremely better then 1080P, my point is, no one is offering it, but at least with Peacock, we are getting real 1080P for all events, something Cable/Satellite is not offering.

Not what I wrote.

I have seen sports in real 4K/HDR, it absolutely is extremely better then 1080P, my point is, no one is offering it, but at least with Peacock, we are getting real 1080P for all events, something Cable/Satellite is not offering.
And if you have a decent 4K TV your TV will upscale that real 1080P picture to 4K and it will be beautiful.

I find it interesting.
So much discussion of 4k and 1080(i/p).
Very little notation of compression and bandwidth.
In my opinion, compression and bandwidth affect picture quality as much or MORE than resolution, 4k and 1080(i/p).

NBC is not really broadcasting in 4k..just upconverting 1080p...most 4k streaming boxes can upconvert

Yes, it is in the Hopper 3 guide but not the 4K Joey guide because, once again, it is an HDR channel.
Anecdotally, if you have a 4K Joey, start the event recording on your Hopper 3 then you should be able to view the recording on the 4K Joey. I have used this technique to watch a 4K HDR program on my non HDR 4K Samsung TV.

Also if you have a non HDR 4K TV and try to tune a 4K HDR channel, instead of clicking OK at the error message, click back and the error goes away and you see the program but it is rather washed out.

Are events being embargoed for primetime, or aired live?
I was surprised to see how few of the women's soccer matches were being broadcast live. In previous years, NBC Universal used many of its channels to carry live competitions and events.

This year, it looks like they moved most of that live coverage to streaming on Peacock. Fortunately, a month of Peacock only costs $8, but I lose the ability to record and watch time-delayed.

To my mind, NBC Universal has taken an Olympic-sized step backwards.

I was surprised to see how few of the women's soccer matches were being broadcast live. In previous years, NBC Universal used many of its channels to carry live competitions and events.

This year, it looks like they moved most of that live coverage to streaming on Peacock.
Tennis is also getting screwed this year, only the last two days are being aired outside of Peacock.

To further emphasize their anti-viewer stance, they recently removed Peacock as a free service for Comcast Internet subscribers.

Where can I find an old Dishplayer 7100?

Recent quality problems with local Twin Cities PBS tpt channel 2