Dish Olympic Coverage

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
With 15 days until the start of the Olympics I am surprised that Dish has not announced their coverage. I would expect 4K HDR coverage on channel 540 and an app showing the coverage on each channel.
I know that NBC has the rights to the Olympics but I hope that Dish will broadcast events in 4K HDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With 15 days until the start of the Olympics I am surprised that Dish has not announced their coverage. I would expect 4K HDR coverage on channel 540 and an app showing the coverage on each channel.
I know that NBC has the rights to the Olympics but I hope that Dish will broadcast events in 4K HDR.
If Dish has it ( I assume they will), I just found out it will not be real 4K, more up-converted **** the networks always give us with Live Sports in 4K.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If they have it I would expect an announcement sometime over the next week.
Here-

NBC confirmed yesterday that its coverage of the 2024 Summer Olympics Games from Paris, which will be held from 8 a.m. ET on July 24 to 5:30 p.m. ET on August 11, will include an upscaled 4K feed. The network said the 4K feed will be a simulcast of USA Network’s broadcast, which will include more than 400 hours of events.

To watch the USA Network’s 4K simulcast, you will need a subscription to one of the following TV providers: Altice (Optimum TV), Comcast, Cox, DIRECTV/DIRECTV Stream, Dish, Fubo, Verizon, YouTube TV, and select participating NCTC members.

Actual HD looks great too. Good enough for me. Kind of a pain I need to stream because OTA isn't better. Other than the Spanish channel which is beautiful to watch (generally just soccer though).

The signal being provided to NBC from OBS is 1080P/HDR. The upscaling will be from that signal. While it will not be true 4K it does look very, very good if at all like the past.
I know this isn't true 4k, but here in Chicago, our NBC station is ATSC 3.0 and is 1080P/HDR and the sports on it look incredible compared to the OTA channel or the satellite version of the channel. I assume the Dish feed on the 4k channel would look better than my ATSC 3.0 channel, but all that to say some 1080P/HDR from NBC in the past has looked great.

I know this isn't true 4k, but here in Chicago, our NBC station is ATSC 3.0 and is 1080P/HDR and the sports on it look incredible compared to the OTA channel or the satellite version of the channel. I assume the Dish feed on the 4k channel would look better than my ATSC 3.0 channel, but all that to say some 1080P/HDR from NBC in the past has looked great.
You are not getting real 1080P, nobody is sending a real 1080p HDR signal to stations. Everything's upconverted. The quality of the upconvert is dependent on the delivery method participating stations use.

Wiki says 1080i. But it is just numbers and a letter. If you really think it looks great, that is all that matters.... err... as long as your vision is good.

I got the Peacock Plus deal - 1 year for $19.99.
Same, but only watch Big Ten Football and the NFL, without that, doubt I would be a subscriber.

But NFL Sunday Night looks great, a real 1080P picture, not a upconvert.

Where can I find an old Dishplayer 7100?

Recent quality problems with local Twin Cities PBS tpt channel 2