DISH Network’s ViP722k receiver only outputs 1080i with 1080p VoD

bontox

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2011
USA
I’m a recent DISH Network subscriber who came over to themfrom DirecTV, Inc. I am very pleased with DISH in almost every imaginable wayand am truly thankful I can be rid of DriecTV, Inc. I did stump DISH Network’ssecond level technical support, though. Basically, DISH only has one “true”1080p channel (it is one of the 500’s). However, when one goes to “DISH Cinema”one can find movies that are in “SD”, “HD” and/or “1080p”. When one rents the1080p content the content is displayed at 1080i and NOT 1080p. Yet, the one channelthat has 1080p content really does show in 1080p (you can tell because the TVis “tested” by the receiver for 1080p compatibility and DISH has a warning beforethe renal agreement stating that).

So, do the following statements sound right to those at thisforum who may know?

1) With VoD what DISH Network means by SD, HD and 1080p isthat the SD is 480p, the HD is 1080i and the 1080p is 1080p. However, the receiverwill only show 1080i even if the VoD is full 1080p?

2) DISH Network has only one channel that displays in full 1080pand there is no way on their website to find out what it is. One must use theguide and look at the 500 channels to find it.

Thank you!

The receiver should output 1080P for 1080p VOD. not sure why yours does not. i have heard of some TVs that are incompatible but if that were the case you should not have been able to order it. What set do you have?

The 1080p events do show in 1080p. Does your TV support 1080p/60? That is the format that is supported by Dish and if your TV doesn't pass the test then it defaults to 1080i. There are no "channels" in 1080p at this point, only PPV and VOD.

The 1080p events do show in 1080p. Does your TV support 1080p/60? That is the format that is supported by Dish and if your TV doesn't pass the test then it defaults to 1080i. There are no "channels" in 1080p at this point, only PPV and VOD.
You mean 1080p/24 as that is the format supported by dish.

... With VoD what DISH Network means by SD, HD and 1080p isthat the SD is 480p, the HD is 1080i and the 1080p is 1080p. However, the receiverwill only show 1080i even if the VoD is full 1080p? ...

To add to what Geronimo said, I trust that you understand that your receiver is not outputting 480p, 720p, or 1080i depending on the source material associated with whatever channel you have selected. Your receiver will always output what you have selected as the default in setup. For example, I have my 722k set to output 1080i (no matter what the original resolution.)

As Geronimo said, the only time your receiver will output 1080p is when you have ordered a 1080p Vod.

PS In order to get more responses, I'd suggest that you accept the default fonts, colors, and size when posting as it what you have done makes it difficult to reply.

The receiver should output 1080P for 1080p VOD. not sure why yours does not. i have heard of some TVs that are incompatible but if that were the case you should not have been able to order it. What set do you have?

Thanks for the response! Sorry I don’t have the exact modelnumber for my TV, but it is a third generation SXRD Sony with “Full HD” via componentand HDMI. The 722k is on a HDMI port. My TV can do 1080p/24 and 1080p/60. I wentinto the DISH 722k’s diagnostics screen and confirmed that it is set to 1080ias well as looking at few more pages into the diagnostics I can see that theDISH 722k lists 1080p/24 and 1080p/60 as formats it “sees” that my TV canhandle. The TV’s manual says it can, too.

The DISH Technician I spoke with told me the only 1080p contentDISH has is the single channel in the 500s and advised I do not rent movies fromDISH Cinema because 1080p content isn’t offered there and the fact that one canrent listed movies as 1080p is “a mistake on the part of the guys who do themenu”...his words, not mine.

I find your reply more reasonable. One more thing I noticed…why do none of the DISH Cinema’s 1080p offerings force a 1080p compatibilitytest like the single 500 channel does? Do they for you?

To add to what Geronimo said, I trust that you understand that your receiver is not outputting 480p, 720p, or 1080i depending on the source material associated with whatever channel you have selected. Your receiver will always output what you have selected as the default in setup. For example, I have my 722k set to output 1080i (no matter what the original resolution.)

As Geronimo said, the only time your receiver will output 1080p is when you have ordered a 1080p Vod.

PS In order to get more responses, I'd suggest that you accept the default fonts, colors, and size when posting as it what you have done makes it difficult to reply.

Yes, my 722k is set for 1080i output.

Yes, I know it will only do 1080p with 1080p content. Thatis the issue...the single 500 channels does 1080p, but none of the VoD 1080p moviesdo when rented as 1080p. They output 1080i. Also, I am not prompted with 1080pVoD to do the 1080p test like I am with the 500 channel.

Thanks, I'll try to remember to remove text formatting.

The "test" for 1080P compatibility is done in the background when you select the movie for download. If your set passes you get the 1080p. You can verify this when watching the downloaded program by selecting whatever button on your TV remote the makes your TV display the info of what it is displaying.

SXRD is a rear projection set correct? And the HDMI goes straight from the receiver to the TV, and not through any other components? (3rd Gen was black...floaty frame like the XBRs?).

The "test" for 1080P compatibility is done in the background when you select the movie for download. If your set passes you get the 1080p. You can verify this when watching the downloaded program by selecting whatever button on your TV remote the makes your TV display the info of what it is displaying.

I verified the following via the “display” button for my TV. I just rented Tron from channel 501 in 1080p and the DISH receiver displays it as 1080p/24. I then confirmed that when I rented IMAX Hubble 3D in 1080p the DISH receiver displays it as 1080i.

Tron:
photo1.jpg

Hubble:
photo2.jpg

I was going to check out but "IMAX Hubble is not avaalible for me to download on either my 722 or 922. I have no idea why.
I verified the following via the “display” button for my TV. I just rented Tron from channel 501 in 1080p and the DISH receiver displays it as 1080p/24. I then confirmed that when I rented IMAX Hubble 3D in 1080p the DISH receiver displays it as 1080i.

Tron:
photo1.jpg

Hubble:
photo2.jpg

I believe I see the problem.. Hubble is not being offered as 1080P right now... Tron is. Verifying it is or is not listed as such right now.

***EDIT **** I looked.. According to my equipment (multiple DVRs) Hubble is not 1080P offering.

Last edited:
I believe I see the problem.. Hubble is not being offered as 1080P right now... Tron is. Verifying it is or is not listed as such right now.

***EDIT **** I looked.. According to my equipment (multiple DVRs) Hubble is not 1080P offering.

Actually it is being offered in 1080p on "DISHOnline", Tony. I needed to search for hubble not imax hubble. It is downloadinf to my 722 now (for $6.99 I really didn't want to spend) Unfortunately it won't be ready to watch until I am at work so I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow. I'll post my results then.

I’m a recent DISH Network subscriber who came over to themfrom DirecTV, Inc. I am very pleased with DISH in almost every imaginable wayand am truly thankful I can be rid of DriecTV, Inc. I did stump DISH Network’ssecond level technical support, though. Basically, DISH only has one “true”1080p channel (it is one of the 500’s). However, when one goes to “DISH Cinema”one can find movies that are in “SD”, “HD” and/or “1080p”. When one rents the1080p content the content is displayed at 1080i and NOT 1080p. Yet, the one channelthat has 1080p content really does show in 1080p (you can tell because the TVis “tested” by the receiver for 1080p compatibility and DISH has a warning beforethe renal agreement stating that).

So, do the following statements sound right to those at thisforum who may know?

1) With VoD what DISH Network means by SD, HD and 1080p isthat the SD is 480p, the HD is 1080i and the 1080p is 1080p. However, the receiverwill only show 1080i even if the VoD is full 1080p?

2) DISH Network has only one channel that displays in full 1080pand there is no way on their website to find out what it is. One must use theguide and look at the 500 channels to find it.

Thank you!

What bothers me the most is that Dish has a renal agreement. Ouch. ;)

Actually it is being offered in 1080p on "DISHOnline", Tony. I needed to search for hubble not imax hubble. It is downloadinf to my 722 now (for $6.99 I really didn't want to spend) Unfortunately it won't be ready to watch until I am at work so I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow. I'll post my results then.

My apologies. It was mentioned channel 501...

Remote Control for TV2