DISH Network w/ Eastern Arc: Intermittent EPG dropping out during day

yellowman

Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
East Coast, U.S.A.
No similar pertinent threads. Had no problem w/ previous Direct TV Electronic Program Guide (EPG). Switched to DISH Network this December. Have VIP222K receiver. Since then, EPG is set to download at 0300. TVs are completely shut off before then. In AM, the EPG shows TV channel program guide approx. 36 hours into future, which is the max. capability of the VIP222K. During course of day, the EPG shows lesser extensions into the 36 hour time frame, until it says "programming not available" in each of the station programs time frame boxes. Around that time, an error pane shows, asking for manual download. This happens almost every day. So far, all trouble shooting has been done, got another receiver, got LNB replaced by 1 tech from retailer, but he most likely gave us a bum LNB, cause it had to be replaced following week by a more experienced DISH tech, cabling and connections checked, the 2nd tech also checked the setup.
There are no trees or other obstructions near the setup outside. Second TV upstairs is to the VIP222K, as it feeds both TVs. HD from DISH only to downstairs TV. We continue to have this problem intermittently.
***Again, we are using "Eastern Arc", whatever that means.
Makes me wonder, since the EPG is downloaded from satellite to the TV-- 1) Could the satellite be malfunctioning OR 2) Though less likely, could it be the VIP222K is a lower end (cheap) receiver? Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Again, we are using "Eastern Arc", whatever that means.

Welcome Yellowman. Yes, we got it (EA) which means you have a dish that can receive the satellites located at 3 orbital locations (61.5/72.7/77) at once. There is an integrated switch inside the LNB feedhorn assembly capable of feeding 3 dual-tuner receivers. I gather that has been replaced twice, and the receiver itself replaced once.

I have no idea why you are still having this problem. Just for grins, locate the separator on the back of your receiver (looks like a splitter going to the two sat tuner inputs) and flip it over.

Since your receiver is not a DVR, it illuminates one of the usual suspects, a failing hard drive. I would first do a "Check Switch" which can be found in the menu under installation. See if you are getting "green" for all satellites. If it is red then that is a starting point. That will also do a reset when you exit

One other thing if all appears ok in the check switch, do a hard reset. With the receiver on normally, unplug it. Wait about a minute or so, and plug it back in.

It isn't impossible, but unlikely the problem is with the receiver since you had it replaced. But if you are really getting 36 hours each day, it would certainly appear there is no problem with getting the signal.

Last edited:

Dish Internet Response Team

Two quick questions....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)