Dish Network: Ad Hopping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Chiba, Japan
Sometimes Dish can be our friend. Dish's new DVR supposedly will automatically hop over ads in recorded programs. This has the major networks suing Dish for fear of losing viewers of their ads. Somebody forgot to tell the networks that people already have stopped watching the ads courtesy of the fast forward button. Why is this FTA news? Because anything that creates friction between pay TV providers and content providers ultimately could push the content providers to consider other forms of content distribution, such as FTA, for example. If you don't like how a middleman is handling your product, you go straight to the end user. Just like the good old days of OTA. Maybe Dish is our friend after all by getting content providers to hate them.

Read more here.

I suggest you read more as to what it actually does. Now I know its hard for some people but if you venture to the Dish area (and even the subsection about the Hopper) there is lots of info on it.

Thread about the nets suing DIsh about it
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/284880-fox-sues-dish-over-ad-skipping.html

and the subection that has alot of info on the actual thing (autohop)...I'm not going to post every link there
The Hopper Zone

And by the way...you can turn off that feature

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tuning an fta dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)