Dish HD requirements for the SF Bay area

wstef721

Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
I currently have a legacy dish install with a Dish 500 (110&119) and 2nd dish (148) connected to an SW64. I have 3 receivers connected to the system, a 721, a 501, and a 508. I would like to upgrade to a VIP722 to receive HD programming and decommission the 501. What will my new system need to look like?

I would prefer to do a self install rather than have an installer muck with things. I am very particular about my wiring. It seems harder to find good documentation on system setup and configuration these days.

You'll need to repoint the dish at 148 to 129. The 722 is a dual tuner so you'll need two cable runs to the receiver from the switch. I don't know if they will allow you to self install the 722 since you don't have a dish pointed at 129 or 61.5 (HD programming) but you can try.

Where in the Bay Area are you located?

Will the VIP722 work with a legacy LNBs? I called Dish earlier today and they said it would not work. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer I got over the phone was wrong.

It will work but like I said, you will need two cable runs from the receiver. If you want to run a single cable run to the 722, you'll need to upgrade to Dish Pro. Either by taking the equipment upgrade from them or buying your own equipment.

For 3 receivers, I would buy a Dish 1000.2. It will allow you to see 119, 110 and 129 in a single dish and it will also feed dual tuners (722, 622, etc) with a single cable run. I think they run for $89. The 1000.2 also has a SAT IN port for a fourth satellite in case you want to use 148 or 61.5.

reception for 129 and HD in central OR

HDTV will not show my channels in Digital, only analog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts