Dish cover without signal impairment

JRGB01

Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
Mexico City
Fairly new at this and in need of some guidance. The place I live in does not look too kindly at big dishes and since I'm trying to install two of them (1.8 meters each), I will have to cover the whole structure so that even though the dishes are not visible, the signal does go through. I did some research and found out that if I build the structure using a light acrylic fabric, the signal would go through. Am I correct in assuming this and is there any other thing I should watch out for in the structure I plan to build? :confused: Many thanks for your help.

There are a couple of companies already out there, that make these covers, and the cost, compared to trying to make them is really reasonable...

Just go to Goggle and look up Dish Covers!!!

Bob, thanks for your reply. Actually, that's were I started my research and found out that the fabric they use is some sort of acrylic, but since I have to cover 2 dishes completely with one big box or structure, I can't use the individual covers they sell and will have to build my own. That's why I wanted to know which sort of fabric should I use exactly to build the top and sides of this box and which material should I use to build the structure of such box (i.e. would an aluminium frame obstruct the signal?).

The funny thing is that I would rather see 2 dishes side by side instead of one big boxy structure laying on my garden, but rules are rules...

Hey JRGB01,

Don't use Aluminum, and you will probably save some time, if you went to the Mfg. of the dish, to determine the different configurations and measurements that will be required, to keep from cutting off the signal.

PVC tubing would probably work better than most materials, but if you are only concerned with keeping someone from seeing the dishes themselves, don't put any top on... just the sides cover will accomplish what you want...

yeah, if you have a good line of sight without any real tall trees, just mount the dishes low to the ground, and build a "privacy fence" for your dishes, don't worry about a roof

seriously, now...

I'm a proponent of low dishes, too.

First you temporarily mount them very high.
Take a few pictures in this position. *
Ask the neighbors how they like 'em.
Then lower them down below fence level, and everyone will think they won! :)
* Show the pictures to anyone who moves into your neighborhood later and dares to bitch! ;)

But...

I remember seeing a plastic sheeting with a green thread on quarter inch grid-spacing for strength.
I think it's used for hot houses.
You might try a farm supply store (or internet search) .
The light comes through, but you could probably dance naked behind it without anyone knowing what you were doing.
As an added bonus, put some plants inside and grow 'em all year long. ;)
Just make sure there's ventilation so you don't get condensation on your dishes!

....aren't you glad you asked.?... :)

Circular Spirit Bullseye Levels

Get rid of Dish get $150 Visa gift card?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)