Dish Automaticaly Shuts Down upon Acquiring Signal. HELP!

dorkusmcforkus

Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
hello. When my Dish DVR is turned on it pretty much has to acquire the satelite signal, but as soon as it gets to step 5, it shows 5 seconds of programing then shuts down. It then reboots itself and acquires the steps, and shuts down. It seems to be stuck in some sort of loop.
I did notice however that while it is acquiring the signal, you can go on Menu and see all the options and the list of recorded events. But nothing can be accessed.
I called Dish NEtwork, and the best they can do is replace my dish. BUT the thing is i have over 70 hours of important programing that i need to access. I would like to know if anyone can help me. The fact that i can view the list and watch for a few seconds before it shuts down, gives me hope.
If anyone can help me, it would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Try disconnecting the satellite feed. That should keep the receiver from finishing tuner initialization. Then you should be able to hit the DVR button and watch your recordings.

What model receiver is it, and why are you concerned about losing your recordings if they're going to replace your dish (actually they're probably thinking about replacing your LNBF)?

I have the DVR 510, and what do you mean by disconecting satelite feed. it pretty much wont access recorded events until its halfway through, otherwise it just says 'information not available'

Also they want to replace my DVR set, by mailing me a new one and having me ship the current one back. If I do that, all my programing is lost with it.
hmm Its not possible to transfer that information elsewhere is it?
Thanks...

Try these steps. You may find the box will start working again.

Disconnect the cable from the dish at the back of the receiver. Run a Check Switch. Pull the power. Run Check Switch AGAIN. Connect the cable. Run Check Switch for a THIRD time. You might be good.

If not, you should have noticed that the box acts a bit differently (won't get to step 5) without any satellite hookup. While it's trying to find a signal, you should be able to access the DVR menu cleanly and watch your stuff (or dump it to tape).

My 721 once rebooted 4 times in a row before I got disgusted and pulled the power for 15 minutes. Once cold as a mackeral, it booted up OK. Try that.

I have a Dish 510 which has had errors. The first 510 was sent back because of the same problem you are experiencing. I found out that I had entered too many timer programs. Possibly the amount of time (Hours) entered exceeded what was left on the DVR for recording. The second unit encountered the same problem but came back as the timer settings were automatically deleted once the time had elapsed. Now I only set up the timer daily and copy what I have on the DVR to DVD to allow more recording time. Are you running your receiver through a power strip? This may also be a cause. Try running directly into a wall outlet which is grounded (3 prong). Also make sure that the receiver is adequately ventilated,

Good luck and keep us posted.

Diplex TV2 and cable TV

Pronto with the 811

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)