DIRECTV Transponder Map ~ Data 9/18/2024

Not much has changed since earlier this week except for some NHLCI/NBALP prep, and 363 FOX Weather going live as a channel that automatically tunes to the DTV app stream. This also solves they mystery of the TID/PID-less records.

Passing along gracenote's reactivation of 5.6 KSTCDT4 for Minneapolis.

Reactions: lordodogg
Fox Weather First on channel 363 is live as the first streaming channel available directly off the Guide on Genie servers and their clients. I don't know how that will work on HR24s, etc. This is the first activation of the APG entries that had no TID or PID. The weekly analysis runs are currently ignoring these because the analysis has always been focused on satellite delivery. Gary will be adding new labelling in his TPN map for today, We will have to consider how to handle these in the weekly data analysis going forward, but it will take a lot of reprogramming. I suspect there will be more of these in time.

• Wow
Reactions: lordodogg
Fox Weather First on channel 363 is live as the first streaming channel available directly off the Guide
What about i24 ch 343 & Cheddar ch 354, which have been like this for years now, since they were first launched.

I don't know how that will work on HR24s, etc.
It probably won't work, as it doesn't for the above 2 channels either. When I go to either one of these on my HR24, all I get is a DTV splash screen, then a pop-up message stating "a Genie is required".

Also, I'm not seeing 363 in my guide at all, any reason why I wouldn't? I have an HR24, but it's not connected to the internet. (Kyle or anyone???)

Those are different, Cheddar, Tastemade, i24, iHeart and Music Choice TV are "app" channels pulling in content and streams from 3rd party servers controlled by those networks. FOX Weather is pulling in the same stream used by the DTV app like signal saver does on other channels.

363 doesn't appear in the guide at all for Hx2x boxes

On DTV Stream Cheddar and Tastemade act like any other channel, they use streams hosted by DTV's servers.

i24 and iHeart aren't on Stream.

I suspect there will be more of these in time.
There are also TID/PID-less test records for 235 Tastemade, 354 Cheddar and 387 Recipe.TV, so they're likely preparing to use this method for those channels too. Down the road they could also use it to make the FAST channels in the 4000s available on Genies and clients.

this is an interesting strategy. it's not like they don't have the bandwidth to deliver via sat.....
Well what's even more interesting...DISH, who does NOT have that much spare bandwidth (at least on WA) after they ditched the 129 slot & is also doing streaming-only channels, recently launched Fox Weather HD, but as a normal sat delivered channel. :confused:

this is an interesting strategy. it's not like they don't have the bandwidth to deliver via sat.....

Is that so they can localize forecasts? I haven't watched any weather channel on TV since forever, but I remember back in the day the Weather Channel on cable showed local forecasts every 10 minutes. It was inserted at the headend.

During those "breaks" where cable would show local forecasts on Directv it showed national maps, because there was no way to deliver thousands of local forecasts over a national satellite broadcast.

FOX Weather doesn't have any localization, even the FOX O&Os who have it as a subchannel just pass the national ticker.

Local on the 8s still exists on The Weather Channel, but the full screen version now only happens at :18 and :48. DIRECTV has been overlaying local weather over the full screen version since 2008

Pixelation ch 642