Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
NEW YORK (Reuters) - DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSE:DTV - news) on Thursday said it planned to work with "an array of partners" to bring its video programming to devices other than televisions, a day after Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S - news) unveiled a joint venture with four top U.S. cable companies to offer TV to cellphones.

Chase Carey, chief executive of DirecTV, the top U.S. satellite television operator, said the company would unveil some of the new devices at the Consumer Electronics Show that will carry DirecTV beyond television screens.

"That is going to be how you continue to expand the DirecTV experience beyond simply television," Carey told analysts on a conference call. The company will have "a fair amount of devices of our own."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051103/tc_nm/media_directv_dc_1

I just got the offical word that D* will have a device similiar to the Pocketdish by Dish Network. They will also be adding support for multiroom viewing only on the new non Tivo SD and HD DVR boxes. Again sorry to say but Tivo and multiroom viewing won't be supported. The multiroom viewing and playback will work over the existing coax cables connected to the boxes today via the Moca standard.

http://www.mocalliance.org/en/index.asp
for more information on MRV over coax.

I think this makes sense to D* as it doesn't open themselves to legal issues of computer connectivity, and minimizes support issues for customers, as they won't be needing to help with IP or Wireless networks.

Pity on the TiVo, but at least there will be something.

H

Hogarth said:
http://www.mocalliance.org/en/index.asp
for more information on MRV over coax.

I think this makes sense to D* as it doesn't open themselves to legal issues of computer connectivity, and minimizes support issues for customers, as they won't be needing to help with IP or Wireless networks.

Pity on the TiVo, but at least there will be something.

H

That is the main reason why Tivos won't be supported. The current Tivo software has to be rewritten from the ground up to support Moca so the only way they can offer multiroom viewing is using a network card with a router and they know that this is a support nightmare waiting to happen.

what happens if i want to watch a movie or show i recorded on my r15 on a media center pc connected to a big screen tv if I don't have an receiver connected to the tv for instance? I know some companies allow you to stream it to you media center then to your tv will directv allow this or would that person have to pay to have a receiver installed at his tv and more cable installed as well? Just wondering that's all.

mikedz4 said:
what happens if i want to watch a movie or show i recorded on my r15 on a media center pc connected to a big screen tv if I don't have an receiver connected to the tv for instance? I know some companies allow you to stream it to you media center then to your tv will directv allow this or would that person have to pay to have a receiver installed at his tv and more cable installed as well? Just wondering that's all.

It will only work with the new DVR boxes. You can't stream from the DVR box to a regular box nor to a computer. Now the HMC will change all of this but until that time only the new DVR boxes can stream only to the new DVR boxes.

So if you have three DVR boxes in three rooms you can record six live shows with all rooms being able to playback anything recorded on any of the boxes. But as I said above only the DVR boxes alone can playback from another DVR box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

My DirecTV complete nightmare install

Installers Wanted In Chicago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)