DirecTv Signal Issue -- Please Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pcpapant

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Just got all of my Directv receivers upgraded to the new H20 HD receivers.

Becuase one of the cable runs copuld not go to the dish, I had a second 5LNB dish installed. I am in NY and on all of the tvs on the first dish, I get CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC, in HD on their normal channels (2, 4, 5, and 7) and then the standard def channels on a second channel of the same number. So, for example, I get HD CBS on channel 2 and then SD CBS on a second channel 2. I also get the East HD feeds on channels 80, 82, 84, 86, and 88.

The one tv that is on the second dish is missing several HD channels and I do not get the duplicate channels like on the other receivers connected to the first dish. I had the installer come back and he says that the dish is pointed correctly and that the dish is receiving all 4 sattelites but that the box is seeing only 3, and hence some channels that are not showing up.

I confirmed that the other tvs on the first dish are getting 4 sattelites and that the one tv on the second dish is only getting 3 (the 103 Network 14 is "falling" when I test the system). Directv sent me a new H20 and it has the same problem -- I get a "searching for sattelite signal" message on channels that show up on the other tvs. I am thinking of taking one of the receivers that is getting all the channels and swistching it just to make sure I did not get 2 defective boxes -- but that seems really unlikely.

So, I am concluding that it is either (1) a dish pointing issue (irrespective of what the installer says -- he swears that all 4 sattelites are locked in on the dish, (2) a faulty LNB, or (3) a multi-switch issue. Any thoughts?

Perry

Well, switched out the receiver for one of the ones that gets all of the channels from the first dish -- and had the same issue. It's definitely the dish. Does anyone know if the directv installers carry extra multi-switches and LNBs for the new 5-lnb dish or should I call them?

Thanks -- Just called. They said their techs carry all of the parts for the new 5-LNBs (multiswitches and Lnbs) and that they would include a new dish as well just in case.

pcpapant said:
Thanks -- Just called. They said their techs carry all of the parts for the new 5-LNBs (multiswitches and Lnbs) and that they would include a new dish as well just in case.
Sounds like the tech. didn't set the dither for Ka reception correctly on the second dish. Probably broke the plastic pin on the adjustment.:)

Not sure what any of that is but will sure raise it with the tech when he is there on Monday. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Well, had 3 additional techs visit. They conclued that since the second dish only feeds 1 tv, it should not have a multiswitch and that the dish or signal was being confused by the presence of the multiswitch. He removed the multiswitch and it worked. They took a long time to figure it out and were really confused when all of the signals were in the high 90s yet I was missing channels.

Does that make any sense to anyone? If I want a DVR I assume I have to add a multiswitch -- correct?

pcpapant said:
Well, had 3 additional techs visit. They conclued that since the second dish only feeds 1 tv, it should not have a multiswitch and that the dish or signal was being confused by the presence of the multiswitch. He removed the multiswitch and it worked. They took a long time to figure it out and were really confused when all of the signals were in the high 90s yet I was missing channels.

Does that make any sense to anyone? If I want a DVR I assume I have to add a multiswitch -- correct?

Well it does make sense that you do not need a multi switch to feed a single receiver, and when they removed it, it worked, sounds like the installer had the wrong inputs connected on the multiswitch.

If I want a DVR I assume I have to add a multiswitch -- correct?

Depends, are you getting the DVR to replace the single unit ?
If so, the lnb will have enough available feeds to go to your DVR, you need 2 feeds to the DVR if you want full capabilities of the DVR.

If you are replacing a receiver connected to the other dish, depending on how many receivers your using on the other dish, you may need a multiswitch, but not for the single feed unit.

Jimbo

Thank you Jimbo!!!

If I get a DVR it would replace the single H20 box I have connected to the new 5LNB dish.

Can I swap out the lone receiver and run 2 lines off of the 5LNB dish without adding a multiswitch? (I have two lines coming into the house from the dish but not sure the second line is hooked up) Just wanted to check to see if I needed a multiswitch or whether the dish already has the capability to feed the 2 lines required for full DVR functionality. By what I can tell, the AT9 has 4 outputs (I am only using 1 now) so by connecting to a second output of the 4 I could use the DVR's full functionality without a multiswitch -- correct?

Thanks again

Last edited:
pcpapant said:
Thank you Jimbo!!!

If I get a DVR it would replace the single H20 box I have connected to the new 5LNB dish.

Can I swap out the lone receiver and run 2 lines off of the 5LNB dish without adding a multiswitch? (I have two lines coming into the house from the dish but not sure the second line is hooked up) Just wanted to check to see if I needed a multiswitch or whether the dish already has the capability to feed the 2 lines required for full DVR functionality. By what I can tell, the AT9 has 4 outputs (I am only using 1 now) so by connecting to a second output of the 4 I could use the DVR's full functionality without a multiswitch -- correct?

Thanks again
The AT9 has an internal multiswitch that is how you get 4 outputs off the dish. In your original post you didn't tell us there was an external multiswitch. The only multiswitch that can be used is a Zinwell WB68 that is a wideband 6 input 8 output switch. Any other multiswitch connected to the dish will not pass all of the signals(which you experienced). Poorly trained technicians is also what you experienced.:) :) :)

Thank you!!!! Sorry for not being clear.

The first dish that is working has the 6x8 external multi switch made for the AT 9 and has 4 lines comming off of that multi switch. Since I have only 4 lines, seems I do not need the miulti switch. But I am leaving it alone now as it's working perfectly.

The other dish also had the same 6x8 AT9 external multi switch but only 1 tv running off of it. The tech that fixed the second dish simply removed the external multi switch and everything worked. He said the multi switch for 1 line was confusing the signal -- this makes no sense to me at all. It should not matter unless the multi switch was defective.

I now see I still have 3 lines that can be used off the AT9 itself (no external multi switch).

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How Many HARTS do you have?

DirecTV Customers - Free DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)