Directv Satellites - How high in the sky for NC?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

el_triad

Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
NC
Can someone tell me how high the Directv satellites would be in the sky from NC? I ordered Dish Network last winter but when the guy was out the Dish Network signal for one of the satellites was too low and would be blocked by trees.

I called Directv to ask for a site survey or something but they can't send someone out until I order service - so I'm not sure I'm ready to pay $300 (HD DVR plus regular HD receiver) for them to tell me I'm not eligible for service. Of course the phone sales assures me their satellites are much Dish...uh huh....

The Direct HD offerings sound great - Time Warner has made 2 new HD channel additions in 3 years!

Thanks

Unfortunately the problem trees are in my neighbor's yard and I'm not sure they want me trimming their trees. Is the 119 satellite the one that provides the HD signals?

Unfortunately the problem trees are in my neighbor's yard and I'm not sure they want me trimming their trees. Is the 119 satellite the one that provides the HD signals?

Right now 119 provides SD locals to a lot of markets (mostly the smaller ones), Spanish channels and some HD.

HD will eventually move off 119 to the new sats at 99 and 103 (thus if you can get the main sat at 101 you shouldn't have much issue with the new HD sats unless it's a real tight squeeze).

The question right now is if they will mirror the HD channels that are on 110 and 119 on the new sats right away in September. If so (and I think they will) then you won't need 119 at all for HD. So if you can wait until mid September to find out then I'd do that.

Either way, long term you will only need 99/101/103 for HD.

As for DirecTV and site survey, if they come out and decide they can't do an install you won't be out any money, you'll be refunded whatever you paid them. They aren't going to take your money and run. :)

If you see a DirecTV van in the neighborhood (or in a parking lot) ask the installer to stop by and do a site survey. Offer to pay him off-the-books and ask what he'd charge you.

OR, maybe you can solicit one of the installers watching the forums to do the same....

After looking at the website I'm guessing it was the 119 satellite that I had problems with before, looks like it's the lowest in the sky at 31.8.

It looks like Dish and Direct have a satellite in the same location for 119. Found a listing on the internet and it shows 3 HD channels - Discovery HD, ESPN HD, and HDNET and local channels and everything else it hosted elsewhere....?

I decided to order and see what they say when they get here - hopefully it works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Multiswitch

Expanding capacity of HR20

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)