Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
A portable-media-player service called “DirecTV 2Go” and a new original half-hour music program are on DirecTV Inc.’s list of new products and services to show off at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

The direct-broadcast satellite provider will also demonstrate a new HD digital-video recorder; discuss plans for a video-game “tournament” that it will produce featuring in-game camera angles; and show off new LCD TV screens with integrated DirecTV receivers (although when those sets might be sold to the public is “still being determined”).

News Corp.-controlled DirecTV emphasized “an entirely new wave of programming” on its 15 million-subscriber platform in a press release previewing what it will show off at CES.

CEO Chase Carey -- whose company has scheduled a press conference for Thursday at the show -- was also quoted in the release as saying that DirecTV was continuing to “innovate, delivering new and expanded services that will provide the best television-viewing experience when, where and how our customers want it."

The DirecTV 2Go service -- to be launched this year -- would transfer programming content from the “DirecTV Plus DVR” to portable media players that will use specific audio and video formats and display content in a separate menu area with a DirecTV- branded user interface.

Rival satellite-TV player EchoStar Communications Corp.’s Dish Network already has a portable product in the market, called “PocketDish.”

DirecTV said the “cornerstone” of its original-programming moves is CD USA, starting Jan. 21, a weekly half-hour show of live music performances in standard-definition and HD and other features, such as interviews, related to the topic.

Other programming enhancements on tap, for launch at unspecified times in 2006:

• The “Massive Gaming League,” a video-game tournament covered as a sporting event, “complete with producer, director and technical crew [and with] stories of the competitors told via interviews and features, complemented with coverage of their exploits in actual competition”;

• A new “mix channel” that lets customers with interactive-enabled receivers watch “March Madness” college-basketball fare on up to six live channels on one screen; and

• A three-hour block of programming aimed at helping singles meet other singles. This last feature will be called “Direct Date.”

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6296725.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP&nid=2226

Any further news on this portable device? I've been considering buying an ipod but I'm waiting to see if D* will be better (for sure it will be more expensive!! :eek: )

I am someone who tries to look at the glass "Half-Full", but come on a "Gaming channel".

I hate to bring up a old bit, but how about a few more HD channels sometime down the road. one or two perhaps??

Fgsilva said:
Any further news on this portable device? I've been considering buying an ipod but I'm waiting to see if D* will be better (for sure it will be more expensive!! :eek: )

As of now we are being told the release date will be 3/28/06. The first two vendors to have portable MP3/Video recorders/players are Toshiba's S30 and S60, which are 30 and 60 gig hard drive models and one Samsung model.

I am scheduled to get my first allocation of S30 and S60 with my HD DVD players on March 28.

This will be the first USB application for the R15.

No prices yet.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
As of now we are being told the release date will be 3/28/06. The first two vendors to have portable MP3/Video recorders/players are Toshiba's S30 and S60, which are 30 and 60 gig hard drive models and one Samsung model.

I am scheduled to get my first allocation of S30 and S60 with my HD DVD players on March 28.

This will be the first USB application for the R15.

No prices yet.

-Robert

Do you have more specifications about the type of files? Are they going to support WM/MPEG4?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR10-250 question

D11 Current firmware

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)