Directv Onetime Free HD-DVR Upgrade to Valued Customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mccoyrj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Thinking about doing this and having them send it to me for self-installation. Has anyone taken advantage of this offer yet? I'm wondering what type of receiver they will send me...model, rebuild, etc.

mccoyrj said:
Thinking about doing this and having them send it to me for self-installation. Has anyone taken advantage of this offer yet? I'm wondering what type of receiver they will send me...model, rebuild, etc.

It's a toss up. Could be a refurbed HR21, 22, 24 or a brand new HR24. However if you don't currently have SWM they may require a tech to come out to run the second line for the DVR. You're odds of getting an HR24 would be greater having a tech come. If he doesn't have one you can send him away and reschedule.

Where did you hear about this?

It may not reasonable to assume that self-installing is an option. Self-installing on a direct replacement is one thing but going from a receiver to a DVR is a horse of another color (unless DIRECTV acknowledges that you're outfitted with SWiM). If this DVR is an additional box, self-installation has a very low probability of being an option.

The exact model you will get is unknowable (outside of it being in the HR2x series). If anyone tells you they know the exact model, they are wrong or lying.

It may be new or it may be "refurbished", but chances are better that it is not new.

Where did you hear about this?
I saw it on the Directv website when I logged into my account. I have the option of having a tech install it for $49 or have it shipped to me for $19.

I currently have an HR20-700 with two lines running to it with B band converters, a standard R10 DVR with two lines running to it, and a couple of really old single line Directv Hughes receivers. All lines come off a multiswitch and slimline dish. The R10 is currently connected to an HDTV that the kids use for video gaming. I was going to replace the R10 with the upgrade, and swap out one of the older Hughes receivers, which I rarely use, with the R10. If they send me an HR24, it should work with the two existing lines that currently go to the R10 if I add B band converters, shouldn't it?

Getting any equipment from DirecTV - if you want new stuff like and HR24 - I recommend having a tech come out. Even if you are fully capable of installing the receiver, it gives you the power to turn away anything refurb/old and tell a human that you want an HR24.

If it is shipped, you get the box on top of the stack.
If it is delivered/installed, you get a person that can choose from a stack.

Obviously from what all of you say, I should have a tech come out to increase my chances of getting the receiver I want, and since I don't have SWiM, this might be my chance to get that installed as well. What do they typically charge for the equipment upgrades when installing SWiM (i.e., switch, satellite, etc.)?

mccoyrj said:
Obviously from what all of you say, I should have a tech come out to increase my chances of getting the receiver I want, and since I don't have SWiM, this might be my chance to get that installed as well. What do they typically charge for the equipment upgrades when installing SWiM (i.e., switch, satellite, etc.)?

$199 normally but you would need to actually call on since you have so many older receivers. They may waive the charge if you agree to MRV but I'm not sure. When it comes to pricing stuff like that it's out of my league. Other subs maybe able to help you on this one. My account is different and requires different ways of doing stuff. As for swapping the R10 for the new HDDVR it'll work with BBC's connected to it. But I'm still saying having a tech come out is the best option

I assume this triggers another two-year contractual agreement for subscribing to DirecTV.

Or if you want to KNOW what your getting, call Claude at DishStore or try Solid Signal.
You already have the cables there in place, so your good, unless you want to change to SWM.

Or if you want to KNOW what your getting, call Claude at DishStore or try Solid Signal.
You already have the cables there in place, so your good, unless you want to change to SWM.
I was thinking about coughing up the $199 or whatever for a new HR24 through Solid Signal, just to make sure I got what I wanted. I just haven't been able to make myself pull the trigger. The only reason I would go for the Directv offer and take the equipment gamble is to save the money. I was going to have them send me one for self-installation because sometimes it's a gamble on how good the tech is. I've had some really bad ones for the most part and do a better job installing the equipment myself.

I was thinking about coughing up the $199 or whatever for a new HR24 through Solid Signal, just to make sure I got what I wanted. I just haven't been able to make myself pull the trigger. The only reason I would go for the Directv offer and take the equipment gamble is to save the money. I was going to have them send me one for self-installation because sometimes it's a gamble on how good the tech is. I've had some really bad ones for the most part and do a better job installing the equipment myself.

If you call Claude, let him know your from Sat Guys.

I know Claude and Dishstore handle new Directv installs/accounts, but I don't think he does equipment upgrades for existing accounts.

It's a toss up. Could be a refurbed HR21, 22, 24 or a brand new HR24. However if you don't currently have SWM they may require a tech to come out to run the second line for the DVR. You're odds of getting an HR24 would be greater having a tech come. If he doesn't have one you can send him away and reschedule.

I've read on a couple of posts the same thing about not accepting old equipment.

So if upon my initial set up, the installer doesn't bring me a new, HR34, HR24 and an H25 I should tell him to walk and bring me what I want and not settle for old refirbs?

Fateswarning said:
I've read on a couple of posts the same thing about not accepting old equipment.

So if upon my initial set up, the installer doesn't bring me a new, HR34, HR24 and an H25 I should tell him to walk and bring me what I want and not settle for old refirbs?

Well the 34 is a done deal. It's the HMC Directv has. As for the HR24 and H25 it's your decision. I've seen it done and I've seen it work if he showed up with an H24 I would accept it. It's all I'm how you handle it. Being an a$$hole is not the way to go. Just be nice and remind the tech, you're going to have to have the receivers for 2 years and don't want older stuff to start with

The HR34 is never substituted for an HR2x. You'll know what you're getting in the case of the HR34 because it costs $100 more to get into the lease.

I told my guy that I only wanted new receivers. He had no issues and said he didn't have it he would call another tech. I was polite about it though and asked him up front before he started.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any Techs Near Overland Park, KS?

NFL Sunday Ticket

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)