Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
DirecTV Inc. will offer enhanced features during NBC Universal’s coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympic Games from Torino, Italy.

The direct-broadcast satellite provider said it will offer a “Sports Mix” channel that will display multiple NBC Olympic channels simultaneously on one screen. DirecTV will also provide up-to-the-minute medal counts and NBC U’s entire Winter Olympics television schedule.

More than 100 hours of HD coverage from Universal HD and up to 200 hours of NBC coverage in HD will also be available to DirecTV subscribers.

Finally, more than 15 hours of on-demand NBC Olympics content will be available to DirecTV digital-video-recorder customers.

“With so many Olympic events available for viewing, the enhanced interactive features will enable fans to get the most out of NBC’s comprehensive Olympic coverage and gives our customers greater choice and control over their TV experience,” DirecTV Entertainment executive vice president Eric Shanks said in a prepared statement.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6305301.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP&nid=2226

Hey thats cool,but is the interactive feature {button} working on the H20`s yet ??? I assume that will have to work in order for the "Sports Mix" channel to work properly.Someone please correct me if I`m wrong or if I`m talking about the wrong feature.

The mix channels work for me without H20 interactive working.

aec4 said:
The mix channels work for me without H20 interactive working.

No kidding,I can see them but I cannot navigate the various screens/channels that are shown on any of the mix channels.

FKy.Guy, before the my D10-100 got the active upgrade, the mix channels could be made partially functional (i.e. you can change the audio between the 6 channels) by using the yellow button on the remote (the same button you use for English/Spanish audio selection), or I could goto Quick Menu->Audio Options, you'll see English 1 through English 9 (only 1-7 have audio, and represent a 'box' in the mix channel, the latter method still works for D10s even after the active update)), might work for you too.

Does this mean that all D'TV customers who subscribe to HD will get access to the East/West Coast NBC HD feeds for the Olympics? or will we just have Universal HD and our local SD NBC affiliate coverage?

Djsf99 said:
Does this mean that all D'TV customers who subscribe to HD will get access to the East/West Coast NBC HD feeds for the Olympics?

Uhh.... No. Just because they're showing the Olympics, they can't change the rules about what channels they can provide to you.

-JustBob

they have before. Playoffs were in HD last year. They allowed access to CBS HD. Dish is allowing all HD subscribers access to NBC HD East/West for the Olympics.

Has anyone else noticed the crappy quality of the NBC SD coverage of the Olympics? My local affiliate claims it is due to bad weather in NYC affecting the satellite signal from Torino, but the women's hockey looks fine on UHD. I still don't have my OTA antenna installed, so I cannot compare what I getting on satellite to what they are broadcasting.

Ted

ncted said:
Has anyone else noticed the crappy quality of the NBC SD coverage of the Olympics? My local affiliate claims it is due to bad weather in NYC affecting the satellite signal from Torino, but the women's hockey looks fine on UHD. I still don't have my OTA antenna installed, so I cannot compare what I getting on satellite to what they are broadcasting.

Ted

OTA last night was broken at times and your right word is the bad weather in N.Y. is the problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7114283&&#post7114283

Borrowed that link from AVS Forums.

ncted said:

Ted

I noticed that too, when I flipped through. CBC feed looked a lot better on StarChoice. :D

I am in NYC and am not having any problems. Other then the pain in my back from shoveling all the snow!!!:)

chazcbh said:
I am in NYC and am not having any problems. Other then the pain in my back from shoveling all the snow!!!:)

Your feed in NY is a direct feed in. All of ours comes off the ku uplinks and down links to other NBC affiliates, which would be a problem with all the snow. NBC Detriot on StarChoice showed some problem too but the CBC feed done pretty well.

Last edited:
the universal hd channel is great. I am happy with the quality and variety of channels having olympic coverage this year. I am druling over the olympics in HD (so happy with my new tv :))

cablewithaview said:
I noticed that too, when I flipped through. CBC feed looked a lot better on StarChoice. :D

I dont think that anybody does a better job at televising the Olympics than CBC.....

one of the other reason to get cable where I live is CBC.....just the basic package lol

urnote96 said:
I dont think that anybody does a better job at televising the Olympics than CBC.....

one of the other reason to get cable where I live is CBC.....just the basic package lol

I know that was true during the last Olympics. The US coverage was horrid. I had a C-Band dish, and was watching most of it via CBC. They were light years ahead of the US network, that was covering it.

But I have to say, I think NBC and their networks are doing a bang up job this year. I miss CBC, since they scrambled, and I don't have the C-Band dish anymore. I like to watch Curling, and this year NBC is covering much of it, along with most of the other sports.

I would like to see some kind of CBC network set up for D*, E* and cable. In Canada, they sure get a lot of US networks, we should be able to get at least one of theirs. I know there are some coverage rights for some series, and would interfere with US rights, but they could set up a network, of programing of things that are not covered under those rights.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PBS WB Boston HD

Local Milwaukee Channels Freezing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts