Directv Launches the Italian news channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
DIRECTV to Launch SKY TG24 on Dec. 7
DIRECTV Continues Growth of its International Programming Lineup with the Addition of 24/7 Italian News Channel

El Segundo, CA Dec 6, 2004 DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading and fastest growing digital television service provider, announced today that it will launch the Italian news channel, SKY TG24, on an a la carte basis, beginning tomorrow to both residential and commercial DIRECTV customers. SKY TG24 will be available on DIRECTV channel 2120 for $9.99 per month.

"With the addition of SKY TG24 to the DIRECTV international programming lineup, the more than one million native Italian speakers living in the United States will find it easier to stay connected to current events in their homeland through DIRECTV," said Aaron McNally, vice president, International, DIRECTV, Inc. "We are excited to be working with SKY TG24 and to offer our customers an even more robust international programming lineup."

"In United States there are almost 15.5 million people of Italian origin", said Emilio Carelli, head of SKY TG24. "With our news and in-depth programs, Italian-Americans will be able to establish a direct contact with their homeland keeping informed on what is happening in Italy and in the world and listening to the opinions of the protagonists of politics, show business and sports".

SKY TG24 is the Italian channel dedicated entirely to news with live news features every 30 minutes. Concentrating mainly on national and international news and reports, SKY TG24 provides an objective viewpoint on happenings in Italy and around the world. Besides bulletins, there are also in-depth features and reports, and debates with guests in studio. During the weekend, the channel dedicates much time to sports, and in particular, the Italian Football Championship.

Broadcasting from the SKY studios in Rome, SKY TG24 has bureaus in major cities around the world, as well as six regional offices in Italy. SKY TG24's editorial office is comprised of more than 300 people, out of which 100 are journalists.

DIRECTV has developed two new base programming packages exclusively for customers who subscribe to the new international services - BASIC ($9.99 per month) and PREFERRED CHOICE ($29.99 per month). The BASIC package offers up to 50 channels including local channels (where available), music and shopping channels. In addition to those channels offered in the BASIC package, the PREFERRED CHOICE package includes a variety of relevant English-language channels such as ESPN, CNN, The History Channel, Food Network, TNT, MTV and the Fox Movie Channel.

All new international programming on DIRECTV will be broadcast from the 95-degree West Longitude (WL) orbital slot, requiring customers to use a new 36-inch dish capable of receiving programming from 95 degrees WL, as well as DIRECTV's primary orbital slot at 101 degrees WL. In some markets, customers who subscribe to a local channels package will require a second smaller dish.

To order or inquire about residential pricing for these channels, consumers can call (800) 378-4179.

About SKY Italia SKY is the new Italian satellite platform, fully owned by News Corp., created on April 30, 2003 following the merger between Telepiu and Stream. The studios are located in Milan and Rome and the customer service centers are located in Cagliari, Palermo and Milan. The launch of the new service began in July 2003 with an offer never before available in Italy which now includes over 150 television, audio, interactive and pay-per-view channels ranging from sports to cinema, news, entertainment, documentaries, children, music and much more. About DIRECTV Inc. DIRECTV is the nation's leading and fastest growing digital television service provider with more than 13.5 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of The DIRECTV Group Inc. (NYSE: DTV). The DIRECTV Group is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment and broadband satellite networks and services. The DIRECTV Group is 34 percent owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is approximately 82 percent owned by News Corporation. For more information visit www.directv.com.

Call me when they start putting some English-language programming up for us. <rant mode off>

Want to hear something funny. I was speaking to a friend at DirecTV yesterday and we were talking about the new Internationals. After talking for a little bit this person did not think the Internationals were worth it to DirecTV, since they added the new programming a few weeks ago they have only had (get this and the persion was NOT kidding) 75 subscribers to the new international channels!

I have a feeling DirecTV is waiting until CES to really start promoting the international channels.

Scott Greczkowski said:
since they added the new programming a few weeks ago they have only had (get this and the persion was NOT kidding) 75 subscribers to the new international channels!

I have a feeling DirecTV is waiting until CES to really start promoting the international channels.

Doesn't surprise me -- they have done precious little to promote that they are carrying them.

I realize this is a boost in position for them against E*, but I can't help feeling left out in the cold. Mind you, I've got the Phase III dish, and I know that once they DO start putting stuff up (Sky, et.al.), that it'll all be on that fourth bird, and that I'll have to come out of my pocket to get a new dish for it.

Feh.

mhking said:
...and that I'll have to come out of my pocket to get a new dish for it.

Feh.
I really doubt that. Its rare that I see a set of circumstances that has someone paying for a Round to Oval upgrade, unless you're complaining about having a year commitment tacked on.

I wonder if Directv will ever get any Irish/British programming up?

We have installed 37 DIRECTV WorldDirect™ systems to date. 35 VietnameseDirect™ and 2 HindiDirect™. We have all WorldDirect™ services available on our site.

-Robert

It's pretty cool, but too bad you have to get a bigger dish to get it. Furthermore, I've never heard of this "Italian" language channel. I'm sure it won't be Rai International with its programming, especially if its primarily a news channel.

Elstevo said:
I really doubt that. Its rare that I see a set of circumstances that has someone paying for a Round to Oval upgrade, unless you're complaining about having a year commitment tacked on.

Nope. No complaining about that -- I can live with a one-year commitment if they actually do start adding some decent (and no, no more shopping channels) English-language product.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tuners on HD10-250

Why You Shouldn't Pirate Sat TV!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts