DirecTV Execs Talk Premium VOD, Streaming Video

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
After a bullish presentation about state and outlook of the satellite TV giant, CEO Mike White said during the question-and-answer session that the early-release films that cost $29.99 and become available 60 days after the start of their theatrical run are another way for DirecTV to keep subscribers happy at a time of growing demand for anytime/anywhere access to content.
"We are in an age where there are a lot of different options available for customers," Derek Chang, executive vp, content strategy and development, told The Hollywood Reporter after the meeting in explaining why premium VOD and possible other new offers are good for his company. "What we got to do is continue to make ourselves a primary option for customers. That entails the content we put on, the availability of the product whereever customers are - all that sort of stuff."
Source & More: hollywoodreporter.com

While a lot of folks don't agree with me I think the new $30 premium PPV is a great idea, DIRECTV should be applauded for trying something no one else has before.

I would really like to see them remove the PPV HD channels, minus whats needed for NFLST, and move to an all download solution via sat and ethernet, giving everyone the access to a DVR or a non dvr with an esata port if someone would like to download a movie. They could use the current access ppv channels to provide national HD that D* desperately needs.

Scott Greczkowski said:
While a lot of folks don't agree with me I think the new $30 premium PPV is a great idea, DIRECTV should be applauded for trying something no one else has before.

Yes, but 60 days after theatrical release? I'm not sure that's going to draw much interest. If someone has waited 60 days, why wouldn't they be willing to wait another 30 days to rent it and or buy the movie for less than the cost of a premium rental?

I think this would garner more interest (and more theatre operator push back) if movies were available at the 28 day mark.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Adding Receivers...

DNS Waiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)