Directv and OLN

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's the thing, some of you guys insist no one cares about this channel but it's kind of obvious that enough people do that D* is making special mention of it. I think it's a little overkill but OLN is hardly an unknown entity to sports fans.

It's not ESPN, but neither is anything else...

Heck I know if I was a Dish subscriber I'd be upset about the OLN thing because I enjoy watching Hockey. OLN in HD now would really make things nice, even if D* could use channel 95 like they are for Fox Sports HD games and some of the other regional sports channels in HD ( I saw one from Florida can't remember the network ).

Like you say everyone is different, but I don't know why anyone would want any added channels that are not HD, especially in an HD forum. They can keep all their crappy SD stuff, in fact take out half the cartoon channels, the golf channel, all the channels from 363 to 379 and add some HD and I would be pleased as punch.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I would expect to see OLN in HD by the end of 2006.

-Robert
I am not digging you at all here Robert, however, if D* does not have EVERYTHING in HD by the end of August 2006 I will be making a move to Comcast for certain! Just as a qualifier I mean all the National HD channels available. I think a lot of folks feel the same way. Once SW2 is live ... excuses are over, and I am in a top 20 DMA.

EDIT: On topic ... I saw that banner the day DISH dropped them on the home page. Not much of an offering IMO becuase any real NHL fan (I mean the BIG time fans, like me) all have Center Ice anyway and that is available to all providers unlike NFL ST. Does OLN have any "compelling" content other than the NHL? Sorry dishers, had to stick that in where I saw the chance!

Well, I don't see D* having their 150 nationals by august 2006. Maybe august 2007. However, what is the cable company going to give you? Cable systems bandwidth is maxed and I haven't heard of any system that they have to increase their bandwidth. As it stands they would have to run fiber and so if you believe cable is going to have a method to go fully HD, I sure would like to hear it.

timmac said:
Well, I don't see D* having their 150 nationals by august 2006. Maybe august 2007. However, what is the cable company going to give you? Cable systems bandwidth is maxed and I haven't heard of any system that they have to increase their bandwidth. As it stands they would have to run fiber and so if you believe cable is going to have a method to go fully HD, I sure would like to hear it.

The cable company plans are to move as many analog channels as possible to digital. Since they can put 10 to 12 analog SD channels in the space of a single analog channel that would free up a good chunk of bandwidth in their plant without having to pull new coax/fiber. A number of Comcast systems are starting to do this now.

rad said:
The cable company plans are to move as many analog channels as possible to digital. Since they can put 10 to 12 analog SD channels in the space of a single analog channel that would free up a good chunk of bandwidth in their plant without having to pull new coax/fiber. A number of Comcast systems are starting to do this now.

Once they move all channels to digital, they will then require a set top box at each tv.

Curtis0620 said:
Once they move all channels to digital, they will then require a set top box at each tv.

Yep, and they've been working with vendors to come up with an inexpensive box like around $50 to make. Don't know if/how much they'd charge for it to the customer.

from what i've read they want to charge customers $1-$2 at MOST hopefully the boxes can be so inexpensive that they DON'T have to charge the customer. They are also talking about having one box where the drop enters the house instead of one in each room.

most people will use rabbit ears or switch to satellite then since they're not saving anything by staying with cable. Trust me cable companies won't charge what they charge now or else alot of lower income and retirees won't be able to afford to keep cable. My grandparents are in their 70s. They can barely afford to keep cable as it is. If cable comes in and says they have to have a $5 set top for each tv my grandfather will go put his antenna back on his roof and go back to over the air programming instead of paying $60/month for cable tv.

mikedz4 said:
most people will use rabbit ears or switch to satellite then since they're not saving anything by staying with cable. Trust me cable companies won't charge what they charge now or else alot of lower income and retirees won't be able to afford to keep cable. My grandparents are in their 70s. They can barely afford to keep cable as it is. If cable comes in and says they have to have a $5 set top for each tv my grandfather will go put his antenna back on his roof and go back to over the air programming instead of paying $60/month for cable tv.
He will have to buy a 200 dollar plus digital decoder box..because soon there will be no analogue signals on the air..And if he's too far away from the station (or they run 1/2 power) he will get nothing!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help with used dish

Drop outs in WOrld Series last night

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts