DirecTivo R10 unit acting strange (slow to react to input)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nonsense

Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Sometimes my R10 DirecTivo box acts strangely when watching recorded TV. It will take a long time to react to input by the remote. For instance I will go to fast forward and nothing happens, I press the button a few times and see that the unit is receiving the signal (orangey light on the front of the box) After some time (15-60 seconds) all of the button pressing occurs. If I wait a few seconds and click another command it will do the same delay. Most of the time it works just fine though.

When this happens all commands are delayed like this, even the menu system and live TV. It's as if the system is running really slow.

Any ideas what this could be? SW? HW? Bad drive?

I'm assuming that will delete all of my saved shows, so my next question would be how do I save those so I can retain them later?

It'll wipe the shows, but that's how these things are supposed to work, so, as for retaining them, You're not supposed to, it's a _DVR_, not a VHS tape, or DVD-R, if you want to archive a video, you use VHS tape, or DVD-R disc, you see, many people think a DVR is todays VCR, well, it is NOT, a DVR is not, and never was intended as a long-term archival medium.

If you want to timeshift, that's what a DVR does, BUT, if you want to record movies to keep (legality is in question here), use a DVD recorder to record them, or purchase the shows on DVD from a store.

It'll wipe the shows, but that's how these things are supposed to work, so, as for retaining them, You're not supposed to, it's a _DVR_, not a VHS tape, or DVD-R, if you want to archive a video, you use VHS tape, or DVD-R disc, you see, many people think a DVR is todays VCR, well, it is NOT, a DVR is not, and never was intended as a long-term archival medium.

If you want to timeshift, that's what a DVR does, BUT, if you want to record movies to keep (legality is in question here), use a DVD recorder to record them, or purchase the shows on DVD from a store.

So you aren't supposed to be able to record more TV than you can watch in any given day? I guess I bought the wrong thing, or have a life that doesn't allow me to watch endless hours of TV every day. :p

I have shows that I'm not quite caught up on. If TV stopped for 10 days so I could get caught up that would be great. In the mean time, I need to be able to save off the few days worth of shows that I'll have stored (at any given time) before I go wiping the hard drive just to see if that fixes the issue. I don't have a VHS, because it's not 1986 anymore. I don't have a DVD-R either, mainly because if I want to save something to watch I save to the DVR, watch it, then delete. If I wanted to do something illegal I'd just use my PC rather than mess around with the TiVo.

If there's a way to do that on the R10, that would be great, if you don't know how, that's fine too.

So you aren't supposed to be able to record more TV than you can watch in any given day? I guess I bought the wrong thing, or have a life that doesn't allow me to watch endless hours of TV every day. :p

I have shows that I'm not quite caught up on. If TV stopped for 10 days so I could get caught up that would be great. In the mean time, I need to be able to save off the few days worth of shows that I'll have stored (at any given time) before I go wiping the hard drive just to see if that fixes the issue. I don't have a VHS, because it's not 1986 anymore. I don't have a DVD-R either, mainly because if I want to save something to watch I save to the DVR, watch it, then delete. If I wanted to do something illegal I'd just use my PC rather than mess around with the TiVo.

If there's a way to do that on the R10, that would be great, if you don't know how, that's fine too.

Hey lighten up.It's not 1986 but I still have a VCR and movies on tape&disc and on the R15(love the live view 90 minute buffer).OMG do I need a life or what?.:D

It might also be a hard drive which is beginning to fail, or perhaps a bad power supply. When we replaced these with parts from Weaknees.com on our HR10, all these problems, including audio dropout, stopped. Not saying this is a guaranteed fix for you, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boston locals

Sharks/Red Wings are on 95

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)