Direct combined with antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
If I got Direct installed, could I combine the signal from my OTA with the Satellite feed using a splitter/combiner?

Not with the latest hd install, I don't think so.

If he has SWM set up, no, at least not easily, not sure if the Installers have managed to do this or not, there was talk awhile back.

If it's a Non SWM then yes.

If he has SWM set up, no, at least not easily, not sure if the Installers have managed to do this or not, there was talk awhile back.

If it's a Non SWM then yes.

The OTA frequencies are at 450 - 650 MHz and DirecTVs MoCA frequencies are at 475 - 625 mhz. MoCA is used for communication with clients or receiver to receiver when using MRV. There is actually a diplexer manufactured for such a purpose

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420040676.220334.jpg

The SWM8 module also has an off air port for this same purpose. This is not a set up directv or its technicians will support and if any problems occurred and a technician were to come out he would likely blame it on that and disconnect it. So, like Jimbo said, not easily.

The OTA frequencies are at 450 - 650 MHz and DirecTVs MoCA frequencies are at 475 - 625 mhz. MoCA is used for communication with clients or receiver to receiver when using MRV. There is actually a diplexer manufactured for such a purpose

View attachment 103638

The SWM8 module also has an off air port for this same purpose. This is not a set up directv or its technicians will support and if any problems occurred and a technician were to come out he would likely blame it on that and disconnect it. So, like Jimbo said, not easily.

If it were me using an antenna, I'd just put the antenna in the back of the TV, and keep the reciver separate. That may only be if you are on a TV with a ATSC tuner though (most modern TV sets do have one).

If it were me using an antenna, I'd just put the antenna in the back of the TV, and keep the reciver separate. That may only be if you are on a TV with a ATSC tuner though (most modern TV sets do have one).
How would you purpose to Record any of those channels then ?

If you are able I would recommend running separate lines and using a device called an AM21 that will integrate the off air channels into the directv guide and I believe allow recording of them.

The AM21 should work with a receiver as well as a dvr, most of them anyways. Check page 4.
http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/AM.../detail/a_id/3103/~/am21-off-air-tuner-manual

Edit: I just reread your post kitty. You were referencing being able to record only to the dvr I assume.
Yes... you can record as long as the ird the am21 is connected to is a dvr. The am21 is capable of allowing only two programs to be recorded at a time even if you have a genie. Also keep in mind that you will need 1 am21 per ird barring clients/rvu tvs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Happy New Year!!

Is this possible with Direct tv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts