Direc tv getting pricey!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
I know Im beating a dead horse but holly cow.
I have the premier package. I think its called that? Top package.
Everything.

So, when I got my bill (online of course) save the trees!
I kinda lost my breath.

My bill is 160 bucks. I did have some discount pop off. It was 143.
In my 15 years with direc it has steadily gone up.

I know that I could downgrade but I watch direc in my man cave.
I love the sports and movies. The picture is top notch.

To tell whole story
I have three hr24 dvrs. Whole home Mrv. Plus protection insurance for units.

I also have dish which is my main system. I love dish as well but I cant get my
Jets, Rangers, Yankees and Knicks.

For similar package minus sports packages dish is cheaper by 30 bucks?

Thats bananas!

This is exactly why I went the way I went.

Dish is Flat out Never going to be an option for me ever again, Unless they work out the NY sports issues.

Directv needs to lower their prices, Bottom line! I got tired of paying them for the tons of un watched programming and unwatched sports that I have no intrest in, and was tired of not getting much of the programming I was interested in.

This is the first time in Years that I'm finally down to one provider.

I'm loving it!

The whole world has gone nuts with price gouging and greed. Have you looked at your local gas pump or food store shelf lately :eek:

The whole world has gone nuts with price gouging and greed. Have you looked at your local gas pump or food store shelf lately :eek:
YEP, I'm well aware of Gas prices.:coffee

I have 5 Trucks/Vans that have Thursty 5.7.- 6.7 Litre Engines that need fuel sometimes twice a week.
Diesel is over $4 per gallon in my area and, 3 of my Trucks use it!

But if America could build me an affortable Truck that can carry between -2500-4000 pounds in the bet while towing my my 12,000 lb Man lift and Back hoe, Then I'll be glad to trade them in!.

I tried one of those FUSO's , What a Piece of Crap!

Their is no work horse Like an American Truck.:D

TV prices shouldn't increase the way it does. They are Still making record profit.

Thats just another FU from Charlie and Mr White.:rant:

It does seem strange that everything we might be interested in buying has increased in cost, yet the gov't for the last 2 years has said that officially that box of Cheez-its didn't shrink and go up in price... :(

If you don't care for all the premiums, You could downgrade your base package to choice xtra (which has all the basic/standard channels) and just add whatever premiums you watch the most. That ought to save you at least $7/month. Personally, I don't think Cinemax is worth it on D* unless they add more channels to that premium soon (Seriously, 3 channels, only 2 in HD for $12.99. I would say no thanks.) But the choice is up to you.

I dont understand why people want all those movie channels....but then again folks say why do you want 40 sports networks ;)

I dont understand why people want all those movie channels....but then again folks say why do you want 40 sports networks ;)
One difference being is the movie channels pretty much show the same movies over and over, so there really is no point in having all of them. The sports channels show different sports with different teams with different games everyday. So 40 different sports channels actually offer more unique, live, and original content

I don't understand why people want to have the multi-sports pack. You can't watch any of the games on those RSNs since they'll be blacked out anyway so I just don't see what's the point of buying it. Don't get me wrong, I understand why D* and E* offer it. To make more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I don't understand why people want to have the multi-sports pack. You can't watch any of the games on those RSNs since they'll be blacked out anyway so I just don't see what's the point of buying it. Don't get me wrong, I understand why D* and E* offer it. To make more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

plenty of college sports. And in some markets adding the sports pack does get you more pro sports. If you live in an area with no team it comes out better. Great example is Iowa
With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD (Ch. 665) - HD Available
# Chicago Blackhawks (HD Available)
# Chicago Bulls (HD Available)
# Cubs (HD Available)
# White Sox (HD Available)

BUT if you add the ports pack you get

FS North HD (Ch. 668) - HD Available
# Brewers (HD Available)
# Minnesota Timberwolves (HD Available)
# Twins (HD Available)

FS Midwest HD (Ch. 671) - HD Available
# Cardinals (HD Available)
# Royals (HD Available)
# St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

# Cubs (HD Available)

# Brewers (HD Available)
# Twins (HD Available)

I get both of those with my service address changed no sports pack needed. ;)

plenty of college sports. And in some markets adding the sports pack does get you more pro sports. If you live in an area with no team it comes out better. Great example is Iowa
With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

# Cubs (HD Available)

# Brewers (HD Available)
# Twins (HD Available)

FS Midwest HD (Ch. 671) - HD Available
# Cardinals (HD Available)
# Royals (HD Available)
# St. Louis Blues (HD Available)
Agree, Sometimes it does.

Like my Market it gives you the Pittsburgh games with the Sports pack. So its not a complete waste.
But I'll have to agree with many, 90% of the channels are useless to most subscribers.
And crapload of dough for the Satellite providers.

Yes they have alot of College Football, But their are quite a few Blackouts that still exist.

Also mostly all the College football that matters is broadcast locally and national.

The movie channels have a lot of original programming not just play the same movies, over and over again.
I don't have the MAXI-PACK movies package or whatever it's called but I get SHOWTIME/STARZ now.

No question that DirecTV is not cheap, but at least around here, compared to cable it's a bargain. Programming is higher and while they make a big deal about "free HD" they charge $18 a month for each HD DVR.

I think if you subscribe to a higher end package, any lease or dvr fees should be waived. We all know they make a huge profit on movie channels. Make a change to Directv Cinema. Instead of a per movie charge, make a subscription plan like Netflix. But, they aren't in business to save us money.....

Supply meet demand; demand meet supply. That simple.

However.

I would love lower prices; we all would.

I agree extra receivers fees should be waived at "X" price point.

At 5 years of service and each year after, I would like to see a loyalty discount.

I think the protection plan should be included.

but the basics of supply & demand economics are simple. the price is what the markets will bear and so far for YEARS their pricing has been bearable; they are lot losing net subscribers (the part you mention) over it. once this changes, if it changes, then the demand should/would fall and thus their price model would need to shift soon or they would begin fail.

but the basics of supply & demand economics are simple. the price is what the markets will bear and so far for YEARS their pricing has been bearable; they are lot losing net subscribers (the part you mention) over it. once this changes, if it changes, then the demand should/would fall and thus their price model would need to shift soon or they would begin fail.
Again I see your point, and I don't totally disagree,
But when your showing HUGE Profit, Like EXXON, E* and even D* Sure Demand is High, But its quite obvious their is no shortage of supply, If their was, Profits would be down since they would need to spend money in order to find and fund their demanding supply that can't be currently met, which in years to come would ultimately even out. These companys look like they are meeting Demand Quite easily!

Again I see your point, and I don't totally disagree,
But when your showing HUGE Profit, Like EXXON, E* and even D* Sure Demand is High, But its quite obvious their is no shortage of supply, If their was, Profits would be down since they would need to spend money in order to find and fund their demanding supply that can't be currently met, which in years to come would ultimately even out. These companys look like they are meeting Demand Quite easily!

And they will continue to increase pricing until the market will not bear it anymore. This is what their shareholders pretty much demand of them. They don't want to see the company that they invested in just get buy. They want to see those large profits that they have come to expect year after year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n00b HD DVR question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)