DHA and unnecessary locals - what to do?

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
I'm on the Digital Home Advantage (DHA) plan. But from the time I signed up with Dish Network until now, I've set up good off-air reception of my local channels (including the SD & HD digital broadcasts).

My first question is, can I just drop the locals from my package, lowering my monthly bill by $5? I seem to remember reading that DHA must subscribe to locals--is that true, and if so is there a way around that? Those channels are basically a waste to me now, especially with my 921. Note, I am not real concerned with the possibility of the 921 getting confused for OTA guide without being subscribed to locals.

If there is no way of removing locals, then I'll probably look into "moving" to get another DMA. But, if I do, what should I know before doing so? I would rather keep my receivers connected to the phone line to avoid any hassle of fighting over related fees with them in the future. So, if that would be a problem with "moving" then I guess that's out of the question. Also I'm wondering, has anyone here been caught transferring their account to another DMA, and if so, what resulted from that?

Thanks for your input.

Hi TuxCoder:

Well to answer the first part of your question. The DHA Packages include locals, even if they are not available, the price is the same. The only way to save the $5 is to own your equipment. I'll leave the "moving" answer to someone that has actual experience except to say be sure your within the spot-beam footprint of the area your "moving" to.

NightRyder

I'm guessing your looking to "move" your account without actually "moving" and your complaining about $5.00 for locals??

wobbie said:
I'm guessing your looking to "move" your account without actually "moving" and your complaining about $5.00 for locals??
I'm not sure what you're trying to say (that this "moving" will cause me more problems than wasting $5 a month?) but I'll rephrase my point from the first post. I'd like to get rid of the local channels altogether so I'm no longer paying $5 for the channels I'm already receiving (and at much higher quality!). But if I can't, I want to make that $5 extra actually be put to better use by bringing me some channels I don't already have.

And thanks for your input NightRyder, it sounds like I'm either "moving" or eating the $5/month. I forgot to mention in the original post that I would indeed pick another DMA on 105 (with isn't spotbeams but attempted CONUS).

With DHA you are leasing the Equipment the $5 is a leasing fee for the first receiver on the account not a fee for locals, that is why the price is the same wether locals are available or not. With DHA all 522/322 receivers must be connected to a phone line or they will be assed a $4.99 additional receiver fee. If you move as has already been stated you must be in the spot beam to be able to actually receive the local channels, the move would also affect the address that DISH will use to perform any needed service work. They can't send DNSC to a Philladelphia address if you are really in Indianna, you would have to move back first.

Thanks for the info boba. I never really looked at the $5 difference that way. I was just looking at the fact that "AT120+Locals" is $5 more than "AT120" on the programming packages page of their web site. Also, like I mentioned, I would just pick another DMA on 105 which isn't using spotbeams.

But, you do bring up a good point about service calls. I suppose I'll just not worry about it any more and look at the extra $5 as my first receiver's lease fee (I'm leasing the 522, own the 921). That way, the locals are effectively free (which is what you're stating). :)

I've read that if your area doesn't have locals and you bitch about it enough, they will credit you $5/month. Your issue is that you *do* get locals. After "moving", will you get the right CSR who'll issue the credits ?? Who knows....

As for the pricing of "AT120+locals" vs "AT120", those prices only apply to regular subscribers. You're a DHA customer so you get different pricing: http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/getdish/promotions/dha/dha_price.gif

TuxCoder said:
Thanks for the info boba. I never really looked at the $5 difference that way. I was just looking at the fact that "AT120+Locals" is $5 more than "AT120" on the programming packages page of their web site. Also, like I mentioned, I would just pick another DMA on 105 which isn't using spotbeams.

But, you do bring up a good point about service calls. I suppose I'll just not worry about it any more and look at the extra $5 as my first receiver's lease fee (I'm leasing the 522, own the 921). That way, the locals are effectively free (which is what you're stating). :)

At least with your locals included, you get OTA guide info for your 921. :D

hall said:
I've read that if your area doesn't have locals and you bitch about it enough, they will credit you $5/month. Your issue is that you *do* get locals. After "moving", will you get the right CSR who'll issue the credits ?? Who knows....

As for the pricing of "AT120+locals" vs "AT120", those prices only apply to regular subscribers. You're a DHA customer so you get different pricing: http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/getdish/promotions/dha/dha_price.gif
And if you (as a DHA customer) do that in a "SuperDish for Locals market", your installing retailer takes it up the @$$ for the cost of the SD that you no longer "need".

Don't be surprised if said retailer comes out and takes back HIS dish, or if he was smart enough to have you sign a contract, charges you for the loss - which will take you a LONG time to recoup at $5/month.

dish 34 inch monitor

No landline for installation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)