Degraded Cable Channels After Combining with Sat

Gasket01

Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Before combining, both inputs were good. Then i fixed it. I wanted to distribute the Sat signal as a channel over the cable coax.

Input one is Cox analog cable which is distributed throughout the house - no set top box required - channels go no higher @76 or so and there is some some odd stuff in the 90's - not channels but some sort of maintenance looking channel. Nothing above 100 at all.

Input two is a Sat box (lots of foreign channels - we use it for Korean). I put the Sat signal into a modulator (on Ch 123) and send it up to the wire room on coax. I also put it into the a/v amp as an aux input (pass thru composite connectors from the modulator) so the main tv can receive it as aux input from the a/v amp. The rest of the house can view the sat as ch 123 on the cable. In the wire room I put a combiner between the two inputs (Cox and Sat) and the distribution amp and splitters. What I'm calling a combiner is a splitter, just hooked up in reverse feeding the 2 inputs into the distribution system. The Sat picture on ch 123 is good (no matter what channel is selected on the sat box- good picture) the cable channels are degraded - grainy - not sharp like they were.

Questions -

Can I use a splitter like that or is that the problem and I need some other device to do the combining?

Should I have purchased some type by pass filter to keep the Sat signal from affecting the Cable signal?

- My prior reading led me to believe that the by pass was to block the cable signal in a certain band i.e. above ch 100, inorder to have a "clean" area to inject the Sat signal as the new modulated channel. - I seem to have created a condition where the Sat signal is trashing the Cable instead.

Thanks to any who might answer - this is my first post to these forums and I hope this is an appropriate area for this topic.

House Panel OKs National Franchise

Looking for Acutrac 22 Pro Satellite locator

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)