D* Bucket Truck?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I really don't think that D* or E* will ever really compete against cable until they can insure their customers can get a signal. I have a growing tree problem. I still get 90
plus readings on three sats but in the next five years I will be done in for sure. I noticed the local cable company has tons of bucket trucks running cable along telephone pole lines. Why won't D* or E* stop sub contracting installers paying them next to nothing and higher quality people, pay them well and give them the tools (ditch witch, bucket trucks etc..) to get the install done.

After doing a long and careful sight survey I have two large branches (Almost the size of trees) that will eventually do me in. A guy with a bucket truck and a chainsaw could ensure I'm a customer for a very long time in about an hour. I would even be willing to sign a longer contract. Is this a pipe dream or something that might happen down the road?

I think those are called Arborists and it is the customers responsibility to hire them. Cable companies won't come on your property and cut trees, they use bucket trucks to hang cable on poles in the right of ways.

boba said:
I think those are called Arborists and it is the customers responsibility to hire them. Cable companies won't come on your property and cut trees, they use bucket trucks to hang cable on poles in the right of ways.

Cable doesn't have to worry about trees but they will use bucket trucks to run lines to your area. Then D* should higher regional Arborists to reasonably clear trees in the way of their signal.

igator99 said:
Cable doesn't have to worry about trees but they will use bucket trucks to run lines to your area. Then D* should higher regional Arborists to reasonably clear trees in the way of their signal.

HAHAHAHAHHA your reaching:haha :haha

:) never happen! that tree trimming is very expensive! grylok i see you haven't had a chance to update your picture. it makes me very sad :( to see him even though i know you said he is ok now. can you update it?

You don't need a bucket Truck to install a Dish, in the 8 years I have probably lost maybe 2 deals due to the fact I did not have a bucket truck to get where the DISH needed to be.

The investment of a bucket truck would have never paid off.

If they want better work, then they need to pay the technicians more money and give them less Jobs per day.

hobojoe said:
:) never happen! that tree trimming is very expensive! grylok i see you haven't had a chance to update your picture. it makes me very sad :( to see him even though i know you said he is ok now. can you update it?

NP. :)

Claude Greiner said:
You don't need a bucket Truck to install a Dish, in the 8 years I have probably lost maybe 2 deals due to the fact I did not have a bucket truck to get where the DISH needed to be.

The investment of a bucket truck would have never paid off.

If they want better work, then they need to pay the technicians more money and give them less Jobs per day.

I think you are reading me wrong. I didn't mean that a local independent installer should have a bucket truck. Clearly economically that wouldn't make since. I meant that DirecTV could do like cable and pay their people well and provide equipment to get the job done. The way D* and E* handle their installs is like the wild west. You never know who will showup and if things look hard they will split (I don't blame them based on the way they are paid). I guess as long as D* and E* are still growing why spend the extra capital. I'm sure they have studied this and the loss of customers doesn't justify the extra expense. Dang I just don't like the thought of going back to cable. :(

igator99 said:
I think you are reading me wrong. I didn't mean that a local independent installer should have a bucket truck. Clearly economically that wouldn't make since. I meant that DirecTV could do like cable and pay their people well and provide equipment to get the job done. The way D* and E* handle their installs is like the wild west. You never know who will showup and if things look hard they will split (I don't blame them based on the way they are paid). I guess as long as D* and E* are still growing why spend the extra capital. I'm sure they have studied this and the loss of customers doesn't justify the extra expense. Dang I just don't like the thought of going back to cable. :(

From the pics you posted on another post
You will need a big bucket truck with a long boom..
no cable company has a bucket that big...;)

http://www.myspace.com/1_crazymexican

stevo/65 said:
From the pics you posted on another post
You will need a big bucket truck with a long boom..
no cable company has a bucket that big...;)

http://www.myspace.com/1_crazymexican

It is really two branches that are the size of a small tree. We have charter in this area and I saw them stuck in traffic and they would be plenty big enough. Oh well it will never happen. I might get lucky this hurricane season and have the right trees fall! :eek:

:) i spent 2 days cutting a tree next to us to get the leaves off the roof, stop the leaves from coming in the yard and most important get a better sight at 129west. it would have been houndreds of dollars to get someone out to do it. end result was I'm not picking up leaves daily only weekly. and for now only improved the los a little. but it drops all of its leaves in the fall and doesn't return till late spring.

hobojoe said:
:) i spent 2 days cutting a tree next to us to get the leaves off the roof, stop the leaves from coming in the yard and most important get a better sight at 129west. it would have been houndreds of dollars to get someone out to do it. end result was I'm not picking up leaves daily only weekly. and for now only improved the los a little. but it drops all of its leaves in the fall and doesn't return till late spring.

There is no way I can get to it. Maybe if I put a trampoline on the roof and get a chain saw. :eek:

igator99 said:

I subcontracted for time warner and insight cable and the in house guys RAN from all difficult jobs and left them for the subs. It is honestly not any providers job to make sure you have such a special need meet to get service.

Do you tell the power company to put two poles in your yard because you want the service moved to the other side of your house? You would need to hire an electrician to do this job. It says on the commercials that you need a CLEAR view of the southern sky. It is not their job to MAKE a clear view for you.

Yes tree services are expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you want to save money, go to Lowe's and buy a chain saw for 150 bucks, climb the tree, cut the branches down, cut them up, and burn them.

VIPERS-PIT said:
I subcontracted for time warner and insight cable and the in house guys RAN from all difficult jobs and left them for the subs. It is honestly not any providers job to make sure you have such a special need meet to get service.

Do you tell the power company to put two poles in your yard because you want the service moved to the other side of your house? You would need to hire an electrician to do this job. It says on the commercials that you need a CLEAR view of the southern sky. It is not their job to MAKE a clear view for you.

Yes tree services are expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you want to save money, go to Lowe's and buy a chain saw for 150 bucks, climb the tree, cut the branches down, cut them up, and burn them.

I guess I will just have to save up and get a tree service out here. They were charging thousands of dollars after the storm but I would imagine by Spring prices will be back down to pre storm levels. Cutting it myself isn't an option and bruning it would get me arrested and I would probably set the subdivision on fire. My HOA has all type of rules and expense for cutting trees down. I don't believe they say anything about having a tree trimmed which is all I could have done. I need to stop worrying about it and enjoy it. Thanks for the input.

igator99 said:
I really don't think that D* or E* will ever really compete against cable until they can insure their customers can get a signal. I have a growing tree problem. I still get 90
plus readings on three sats but in the next five years I will be done in for sure. I noticed the local cable company has tons of bucket trucks running cable along telephone pole lines. Why won't D* or E* stop sub contracting installers paying them next to nothing and higher quality people, pay them well and give them the tools (ditch witch, bucket trucks etc..) to get the install done.

After doing a long and careful sight survey I have two large branches (Almost the size of trees) that will eventually do me in. A guy with a bucket truck and a chainsaw could ensure I'm a customer for a very long time in about an hour. I would even be willing to sign a longer contract. Is this a pipe dream or something that might happen down the road?

Better get ready for a price increase like you can't belive

igator99 said:
I guess I will just have to save up and get a tree service out here. They were charging thousands of dollars after the storm but I would imagine by Spring prices will be back down to pre storm levels. Cutting it myself isn't an option and bruning it would get me arrested and I would probably set the subdivision on fire. My HOA has all type of rules and expense for cutting trees down. I don't believe they say anything about having a tree trimmed which is all I could have done. I need to stop worrying about it and enjoy it. Thanks for the input.

Cut a small band around the whole trunk deep enough to penetrate the bark and the tree will die ( the band can be real thin therefore unnoticeable ) Dead tree = no tree problems:eureka

johnml said:
Cut a small band around the whole trunk deep enough to penetrate the bark and the tree will die ( the band can be real thin therefore unnoticeable ) Dead tree = no tree problems:eureka
Until parts start falling off.:) :) :)

johnml said:

Dead tree could equal dead people. The trees are only a few yards from me and my neighbor. So trying to kill the trees isn't a option.

johnml said:
What I meant was dead tree = no problems cutting tree down with HOA.

Yes I know and I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ it just isn't an option. The trees are to large and to close to my house and the neighbor. Thanks for the input. I will just have to one day either go back to cable or get an insured tree service out here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Researching Satellite

DirecTV 36" International Dish (87CM) HELP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)