Critical Design Flaw Found in WD Caviar Green HDDs

Straybeat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Phoenix
Hey All, I just got this notice from one of my hangouts. I thought I'd post it here for anyone who is affected.
Dear Reader,
It has come to our attention that Western Digital's Caviar Green HDDs suffer from a critical design flaw caused by an aggressive power-saving feature. Western Digital has developed a new technology called Intellipark (aka Idle 3 mode) and it is designed to reduce power consumption, in part by positioning the HDD's heads in a park position and turning off unnecessary electronics after 8 seconds of inactivity. According to an in-house investigation and user reports', some software and operating systems are incompatible with the Intellipark feature causing endless head parking movement as the HDD continuously goes in/out of idle mode. This abnormal behavior creates stress on the HDD and that could lead to the following issues:

• Loud clunking/clicking/buzzing noises every few seconds.
• Artificially increases the number of load-unload cycles in S.M.A.R.T.
• Possibly shortens life-time of the HDD.
• Possibly reduces performance of the HDD.

Read more: Critical Design Flaw Found in WD Caviar Green HDDs -The NGOHQ.com Staff

LOL .... possibly shortens life-time of the hdd ... oh wd... energy savings at the cost of a drive.. :)

Yeah I've always made an effort to avoid the "green" drives... I really make an effort to avoid anything "green" as it usually means "crap."

I always buy WD Caviar Blue/Black.

WD is junk pure junk and now they bough hitatci * more junk. Gave WD one last chance as i need a larger HD in my laptop got the 750gb blue and 23days after installing it it had failed. They did replace it and i put it in a PS3 and flipped it on fleebay. no more WD in my house ever

rocket69 said:
WD is junk pure junk and now they bough hitatci * more junk. Gave WD one last chance as i need a larger HD in my laptop got the 750gb blue and 23days after installing it it had failed. They did replace it and i put it in a PS3 and flipped it on fleebay. no more WD in my house ever

So your saying you stiffed someone?

Nebraska locals pixalation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts