Cord Cutting’s not for everyone

Here’s a story based in my interactions with a customer a few months ago. I spoke to a lady who really wants to cut the cord. She’s on a fixed income, it would seem, and just couldn’t pull off a $100/month bill for satellite TV. She wanted my advice on how to reduce that bill.

I asked her what sort of programs she watched. “That’s the thing,” she said. “I really only watch one channel.” Generally when I hear that I know the person is a good candidate for cord cutting. Except, not this time.

She was a displaced fan.​

You’ve heard the term. A displaced fan is someone who lives in one city but roots for a team in another. In this case, this Detroiter rooted for the Baltimore Orioles, and the one channel she watched was MASN, home of all the Orioles games. And that was the problem.

I explained how she could get MLB.TV and watch games that way. It would be a lot less expensive than a satellite subscription. She explains that she watches MASN all year round, not just when games are on. She likes the lifestyle programming and all the other things MASN brings to the table.

And that’s the problem.​

See, as I said in the title, cord-cutting’s not for everyone. There’s a reason that DIRECTV Satellite is more expensive than other options. It’s because it offers choices that cord-cutting services won’t offer. And if one of those services, like the ability to get a regional sports network from out of state, is important to you, then you really need to stay with DIRECTV Satellite.

She asked me why she couldn’t just buy MASN separately. I said, they just don’t do that. Even if they did it would probably be more than $100/month to buy it straight from them. She asked why MASN didn’t have an app like other regional sports networks. They do, but it’s only open to people who get MASN on their satellite or cable system.

People forget the magic of provider accounts.​

There are literally dozens of apps you can use to get live TV streaming for free. We’re all familiar with the big streaming apps like Netflix. But, if you have a cable or satellite subscription, there are going to be some apps you can use for free. Peacock, for example, gives you access to NBC programming for free. Not a lot of it, but generally you’ll get the recent stuff. The same is true with Paramount+. You can get some CBS content on it. If you have premium channels, there’s usually a provider app associated with that too. Have HBO? You’ll get Max for free. Have Starz on satellite? You’ll get the Starz app for free.

Sure you could steal someone else’s password who has the service that you don’t. I’m not going to tell you do do that. Why? Eventually you would be found out. So, using provider accounts, while it seems magical, is a bad choice for cord-cutters.

What about those live streaming channels like Pluto and Tubi?​

I love those apps myself. I like how they’re organized to look like traditional pay TV. I also love that they carry a lot of the content that I, personally want to watch. I like older TV and those apps have lots of it. They also have local news from across the country. Pluto is owned by Paramount and has a lot of the same content as Paramount+ for free. Tubi is owned by Fox and has a lot of that programming for free.

You’ll even find some sports content on there, but I’ll admit it’s not much. It’s rare you’ll see a live game on these apps. You might be able to relive the thrill of the ’04 World Series but when it comes to the ’24 season the pickings will be slim. I do believe that in the future a lot of sports will go to live streaming but that’s a story for another day.

It’s ok to stay where you are.​

There’s a reason that people love DIRECTV Satellite. It’s people like this lady who really prove how valuable it is. Plain and simple there is a lot of programming that you won’t find anywhere else. I do feel bad for this lady who is essentially paying $100 a month to get one channel, but on the other hand, how cool is it that the channel is available! That’s what DIRECTV Satellite brings to the table.

Let the folks at Signal Connect help you tailor your satellite experience. We can help you choose the right packages and help you come up with something that fits your budget. We can also show you how satellite TV isn’t just for home. As a top-tier DIRECTV dealer, we’re able to offer service to businesses large and small. We can help on the road and even on the sea!

Find out what real customer service is all about. Call the experts at 888-233-7563. We’re here for you during East Coast business hours. If it’s after hours, no problem! Fill out the form below and we’ll get right back to you.

The post Cord Cutting’s not for everyone appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Should you buy a variable gain amplifier?

What does an antenna’s boom do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)