Controls on new tv for Best dish pic

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
United States
About to set up 60" plasma samsung...what should brightness contrast tint those kind of features be on for the best dish picture???
(if I forgot some controls please tell me)

Thanks

Do a google search for the model number and video settings. Usually there is a thread in the AVS forums for most models that have settings, that are a good place to start. Just remember each persons setup is different.

I have most of mine set up for dark rooms as I usually have the lights out in the evenings. My sister has the same main tv as I do and I have her's set differently as she has a wall of 10ft windows and they usually have the lights on when watching tv, yet they have almost identical pictures.

Or Cnet, they also have professional settings. Nothing beats a calibration based on the actual signal using a meter etc.., but the settings online as osu1991 said is a good place to start. I had a professional come to do my rear projection TV years ago and it was WOW when he was done. With the flat screens using a known correct calibration setting is most likely going to be close to the optimum. I was skeptical at having the backlight as low as it said, and the saturation is a little on the high side I thought, but with the IRE settings, everything does come together.

About to set up 60" plasma samsung...what should brightness contrast tint those kind of features be on for the best dish picture???
(if I forgot some controls please tell me)

Thanks
With digital sources, calibration should be the same for all sources. Some DVDs have a THX test to set brightness and contrast which is mostly what you'll need for a plasma. Or you may be able to find a test disc to borrow locally. I got one with my Oppo Blu-Ray player. Default brightness for my Pioneer plasma was correct. I needed to reduce contrast slightly to avoid clipping whites.

Besides brightness and contrast, the other thing would be color temperature and minimizing/disabling most "enhancement" processing. I choose "Movie" for color temperature. The only thing I have turned on is a compensation for room ambient light.

If your TV has a dot-for-dot or other setting that turns off overscan, choose it.

kwindrem said:
With digital sources, calibration should be the same for all sources. [\QUOTE]

I disagree with this statement. 1080p sources should have different settings than non 1080p souces. Especially with the shapness setting. In most cases, it should be set to 0 (or close to 0) when watching BD, and a higher number when watching dish. Even though the hd pic is fairly sharp, it can benefit with some tweeking. When watching sd, it will deffinatly help. I have different settings for my BD and for dish.

With digital sources, calibration should be the same for all sources.

I too will disagree, but without saying you will find major differences. My LG TV has a built in process for determining saturation, contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc..... And it does indicate a difference based on the Satellite signal VS the BD signal, and even the OTA signal. Just as smijbh5 said it does indicate a lower sharpness level for BD and also a different contrast and saturation level. Just not earth shattering difference in settings. For OTA direct to the TV the brightness is set to less than the BD or Satellite signal, and saturation is set to less if you go by the built in calibration program. Using an AVIA disc it too indicates a saturation difference.

By the way once you use the professional settings for IRE etc.... then go back and check adjustments using the built in calibration program on the LG, it's remarkably close to what CNET/ professionals say it should be at.

Is there an OTA only option with DVR?

922 Price decrease for upgrades

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts