Considering buying 921: would appreciate user comments on recorded HD quality

steverw

Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
I'd been a happy Tivo user for years, but when I recently added an HDTV plasma monitor to my setup, with it's much greater resolution, I could clearly see the artifacts resulting from the compression/coding Tivo does to the input video to fit it on the disk. Dappling color patches, stippling around stationary image areas (like a station ID logo), "blocking" of areas with lots of detailed motion, etc. It's so clearly visible, I'm having trouble enjoying Tivo'ed content on the HDTV.

Enter the 921 HD DVR. I'd really appreciate any comments by users of the 921 as to how visible the encoding artifacts are in the recorded HD content (or SD content, for that matter). I think I'm going to get one anyway, I'm just wondering what to expect when it gets here.

Thanks in advance for your comments...

I can't tell the DVR stream from the live stream. As long as the incoming source is artifact free, so is the playback.

Most HBO/SHO are noise free and crystal clear. Unless the content is SD, then you have the usual blurred image.

HDnet and DiscoveryHD occaisionally has some pixelation, but not often.

I'm happy with mine and it is having a birthday this month! (Or next??) @party

Mark_AR said:
I can't tell the DVR stream from the live stream. ...
That's because it's bit-for-bit identical. In fact, you're never really watching the "live" stream - it all goes to the HDD first. That's how the buffering (trick play) of live TV works. ;)

Are you a DirectTV Tivo user or a Standalone Tivo user?

The StandAlone Tivo will add deterioriation to the image quality that you cite. Moving to a 921 (or any other Dish DVR) will eliminate that "encoding" step that can cause the artifacts.

If you use the DirectTV Tivo, then the artifactst that you see are coming from DirectTV as part of their MPEG2 encoding/compression. Chances are that Dish as has the same Image quality, so in that case, the 921 would be about the same as DirectTV and moving to the 921 would not gain you very much.

But, if you are using a Standard Definition receiver, the HDTV receivers will blow you away and you'll really see what your plasma is capable of. Even if its a EDTV model.

Dish 921 - Upgrade from DishPlayer 7100

What happens after MPEG-4 switch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)